• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SitkaRose

Jan 5, 2016
Washington
We just bought a used 1986 Vermont Castings Defiant Encore but now are wondering if we made a bad purchase based on how the pipe lines up, or rather, won't line up. Do they make oval to round elbows? We need a pipe that takes it from 10 1/2" wide oval to 8" round. Is this possible? We paid $325 for the stove and it reportedly was barely used. It was in a nice island home that was only used as a summer house before the current owners bought it and they replaced it with a gas stove. We have been trying for weeks to try to figure out how to hook it up and are really needing help. Thank you.

Attachments

• stove 1.jpg
    stove 1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 559
  • stove 2.jpg
    stove 2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 519
  • stove 3.jpg
    stove 3.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 560
Looks like a tight fit. If you start with a piece of 8" round single wall stove pipe can you mush that into the oval shape you need so everything else is 8" round to 8" round?

You might also be able to buy a different flu collar. (Could be a more expensive option though.) My VC Encore came with an 8" oval (I think it's oval... it's buried in the attic somewhere) flue collar so I purchased a 6" round one so that it looked right coming directly out of the stove.

Reactions: Tech Guru
sean b has it down. Use the VC part 0001580 6" cast flue collar (replaces the cast oval collar). Reverse the set up to configure that as a top vent, and get your 6" pipe connected up to the wall thimble/masonry adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.