Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim 0041

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mammaof10

Oct 6, 2017
California
I have read every thread on here I can find on the VC Resolute Acclaim. I realize people either hate them or love them. My stove has had none of the issues described and parts were replaced as they wore out so efficiency of the stove has far out weighed the cost for us. What I haven't had to do before now is replace the combustion package. Are the parts the same for a 0041 as they are for newer models? Does anyone have a link to directions on how to replace the refractory (combustion package)?

Given the age of the stove it's probably due for a complete rebuild. Often when the refractory package goes, leakage warps or cracks other parts. Perhaps @humpin iron or @defiant3 can offer some guidance.

Look carefully at the inside sides of the stove. They are different from the exterior sides. See the head of a bolt in the center of each side? Are there any cracks there? Betcha there are...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tech Guru
If those core sides are damaged, then the stove is junk and guess what? They're all cracked. Means the sides are warped and the stove will never run properly, so don't waste a dime on it.

defiant3 has it right. Those inner core sides are crucial and not replaceable. At one point VC had rebuild kits where you'd essentially be rebuilding the 0041 as a 2490, but 23 years later and several ownership changes and "hey presto!", that stuff's not around anymore. It got to the point where the costs for the rebuild kits was far exceeding what the stove was worth. When you were spending more than half the value of a brand new replacement stove on parts - before labor - it really was a case of throwing good money after bad.

If those core sides are damaged, then the stove is junk and guess what? They're all cracked. Means the sides are warped and the stove will never run properly, so don't waste a dime on it.
So I'm curious, I have the same stove in pieces right now. One of the inner sides is cracked. With that crack, are there any safety concerns with burning wood in it? I'm just going to be using it for a garage heater so I'm not real concerned with it running efficiently. And also, is the combustion package necessary to run the stove?

It's hard to say that any stove that doesn't work as it was intended is "safe." I mean no one in the industry would want to open their liability window like that. Also, what you'll end up with is just an iron box full of holes, better to get like the cheapest hardware store thing you can find and run that. Your insurance company would be far more likely to cover you if a bad thing happened for example. They are increasingly fussy about that stuff.