Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim I 1980 - 1993 vintage, I think.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meanjoeg

Sep 25, 2008
North Central MA
My wife and I recently acquired an older v.c. resolute, and I am having trouble figuring out the size pipe to use. Opening is 6 1/2" by 5 1/2", and I'm wondering if it is meant for an oval to round pipe, or if the 6" is just pressed out of shape to go in? I would like to use 7" pipe, if possible. Any help or instructions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• Woodstove.jpg
    Woodstove.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 5,707
  • Stove top.jpg
    Stove top.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 2,261
That looks just like our VC Resolute from many years ago. Great stove. Is it in as nice shape inside as it is outside?

The stove has a somewhat oval 6" round collar. You could try 7" pipe in there, but that's a bit of an odd size. 6" round is much more common.

It's in pretty good shape inside. I wire brushed the outside so my wife could paint it, but I like it the way it is now. I reminded her that if she paints it, she will have to maintain that forever... Yea, 7" just slips over the collar, so I would need an increaser, but I would be fine with 6" if it will draw o.k. and can be made to fit into the oval.

[quote My wife and I recently acquired an older v.c. resolute,

I used to have that stove. I loved it and man, could it crank the heat! I regret now giving it away to (ironically enough...lol) the oil delivery guy when he asked if we were done with it........ Sure wish I had held onto it! :grrr:

Anne........who's now saving pennies for that sweet Vermont Castings Intrepid she's got her eye on!!

Correct, BG - of course. That is a old resi. Not an acclaim.

IN fact, it is the first or second version of the Acclaim, probably 1979-83 vintage - because of the drop down door. The next version had two swinging doors, and then the Acclaim followed that.

Definitely uses a 6" pipe. We should have the manual for that stove in the wiki.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Vermont_Castings_Older_Stove_Models/

Yes, it looks like a generation I Resolute. Ours had the dropdown door, no glass. I only used the front door for cleaning. It's a great, simple stove that heats very well. I still like the thermostatic damper it had. Tip - put a tiny magnet on the edge of the damper. That will make it close positively. Otherwise, when the air requirement is neutral, you'll hear it go tap tap tap as it hits the stove body. No big deal, but the magnet makes it's operation more elegant.

Thank you one & all ! Craig, after you said it was Definitely 6", I went down to the hardware store and got the pipe needed. 30 minutes later, I'm heating with wood again! Just in time, as it's raining pretty hard here now. What is the best way to idle the stove down when we go to bed? I'd like to keep the area heated, but I want to use the wood efficiently. B.G - Thanks for the tip with the magnet, I took one off the reefer and put it on there.

I'm reaching back a bit - assuming the stove is already up to temperature, I believe you char the wood for about 5-10 minutes, then engage the bypass. Let her burn with the air control open maybe halfway for another 15-20 minutes, then set the air control lever to whatever temp you want it to be. It will take awhile for you to find the position of the air control that is optimal for day time burning and the position that is optimal for night time burning. I'd experiment during the day to figure out that one.

PS: Make sure that the secondary air inlet is open. And pickup a surface thermometer if you don't already have one. It will tell you how hot the stove is burning.

Years ago my sister moved and offered me her rarely used woodstove for helping her. I lived in an apartment at the time but knew someday it would come in handy. Now that i own a home I am brining it back to life and installing it. This thread was the first time I realized the drop down version of the Resolute was rare and now everything I'd researched online makes sense. I have 2 questions for anyone kind enough to answer.

#1 Is there anyplace parts are available for this version. The door latched was seized shut and after weeks of being nice to it with heat and chemicals I had to use the more persuasive tools to get it open. I damaged the latch bolt in the process. I could make one if I had to but I'd rather buy one if they're available. My instinct tells me they would be hard to find.

#2 The stove's bricks are gone. Is the footprint the same on this as it is Acclaim because those are the only types I can find.

Thanks for the help.

You do not need bricks for the bottom of the stove. The manual states that firebrick, sand or ash can be used.

I just shovel the ash out along the fins and leave the rest in as an insulator.

I have the next Resolute, the one with the barn doors.

It's firing oak at 450F now, Stirling Engine fan fanning. Chocolate lab, 16 years young, sleeping in front of it.

She'll be running daily now, sporadic at first, until April '09.

Good stove.

My next task, hooking up a same generation near new Intrepid running in my garage.

Now I'll have two stoves to feed. Fun fun.

We have been burning our Resolute almost daily since my post above, and it is running great! I also shovel mine out along the fins, and leave a little ash in the bottom for insulation.

My Resolute was happily heating Chateau Loco last night.

At one point it got to 550F, I buttoned her up and she hummed along at 400F well into the night. Breton, our 16 year old chocolate lab, figured out there was a new bed by the stove. She promptly planted herself and fell into a deep slumber. The Sterling Fan was spinning, and I had previously reversed the ceiling fan to spin the air.

The house had been at 60F, but as I padded to bed, it was reading 70F. At last check, it was 42F outside.

I think the combination of our west facing sun room and wood stove in the living room is going to have a great impact on our heating costs this winter.

Bring it on ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.