Vermont Castings Stardance Strange issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cjspack

May 14, 2023
Colorado
I replaced the Honeywell valve with the SIT valve (LP) on my Stardance SDV30. The pilot comes right on (without having to hold the knob in) but I cannot get the main burner to light. If I do hold in the knob in, in pilot mode, however, then the main burner lights up. When I release the knob the burner goes out and the pilot stays on. Please advise. Thank you.

There was a post about a similar problem awhile back, you might want to double check that the valve is installed correctly.

Thanks for your thoughts and possible solution. However, I re-checked the valve position and it is installed correctly. Back to square one.

49er, your hunch was actually correct! Even though all of the illustrations I found showed the face of the valve in a certain configuration, it actually needed to be installed oppositely. (Some of the lettering on the face of the valve is literally upside down now - go figure.) Anyway, after reversing the valve, and re-connecting everything, the pilot will not stay lit once the knob is released. Any suggestions?

Thank you. Yes, I'm holding the knob in at least a minute. As soon as I can find my voltmeter I'll test the thermocouple, etc. Thank you for the YouTube link.

Thank you. Yes, I'm holding the knob in at least a minute. As soon as I can find my voltmeter I'll test the thermocouple, etc. Thank you for the YouTube link.

This wiring diagram shows the thermocouple connected through a safety limit switch. It would be a good idea to make sure this switch is okay also if your stoves has it.

I'm not sure if it matters or not but there is not an on/off switch on this stove. Does that seem right? (I bought the stove "used;" even though it is several years old, it had never been fired up.)

I believe the millivolt readings are okay, you're probably getting a negative reading by the way you were touching your meter probes. Did you find out if you have a safety limit switch somewhere?
The on/off switch shouldn't have anything to do with the pilot light but you will need it or a thermostat to operate the stove when you get the pilot problem fixed.

I'm afraid I'm about out of ideas but hopefully one of the pros here will chime in with some ideas. It wouldn't hurt to post some pictures if you can.

You might have to bite the bullet and get someone from a local stove shop to take a look.

I believe the millivolt readings are okay, you're probably getting a negative reading by the way you were touching your meter probes. Did you find out if you have a safety limit switch somewhere?
The on/off switch shouldn't have anything to do with the pilot light but you will need it or a thermostat to operate the stove when you get the pilot problem fixed.

I'm afraid I'm about out of ideas but hopefully one of the pros here will chime in with some ideas. It wouldn't hurt to post some pictures if you can.

You might have to bite the bullet and get someone from a local stove shop to take a look.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I don't believe there's any kind of safety limit switch anywhere. And I will most likely have to hire an expert to come and check it out. It just seems like it shouldn't be that difficult of a problem to solve, but obviously it has been. :confused: ( Go Packers! :))

I finally got my fireplace up and "running!" The biggest faux pas I had (which prevented the pilot staying lit) was that I was not connecting the wire from the valve to the thermocouple. Live and learn I guess. Also, I have to keep a jumper wire attached since there is no on/off switch with the unit.

IMG_5688.jpeg

Reactions: Lennox65