VERMONT CASTINGS VIGILANT WOOD STOVE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PETE SYLVAINA

Apr 1, 2017
SAYLORSBURG PA
HELLO, I am in the process of buying a home in PA. It has a Vermont Castings Vigilant parlor stove in the basement. I am choppin on the bit to get access to model # etc. It has it's own dedicated flue in a mason chimney shared by a fireplace.I have done some research and this looks like it should heat my 1320 sq ft house w/ a 660 basement.I am thinking of installing an insert in the fireplace, to have that as a heat source also. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am new to heating with wood. I plan to have the chimney cleaned and inspected.Also I plan to replace the gaskets and any other necessary parts. It has not been used in ? so stove polish?? Thank you in advance for any help. I have learned a lot already from this site. PETE

No to stove polish! You want to use high temperature paint in a spray can. Stove Bright is the best paint that's readily available. Any hearth store should carry it. Or of course, amazon.

Reactions: PETE SYLVAINA
Dry wood. Insulate the walls or they become a heat sink.

No to stove polish! You want to use high temperature paint in a spray can. Stove Bright is the best paint that's readily available. Any hearth store should carry it. Or of course, amazon.
Can you please elaborate as to why no stove polish? I plan on rebuilding my encore on the hearth and didn't want to be spraying paint in the house.

Can you please elaborate as to why no stove polish? I plan on rebuilding my encore on the hearth and didn't want to be spraying paint in the house.
Because it's messy, it stinks, it needs continuous renewal, and it prevents you from painting it in the future once you're tired of the work and mess.

A piece of cardboard for a shield and a can of paint is all that's needed, it'll last for years.

it's own dedicated flue in a mason chimney shared by a fireplace

.I am thinking of installing an insert in the fireplace, to have that as a heat source also.

I'd first check out the chimney and see what it has in it. Is the stove's flue already lined? That might be your first project. As for the other one, what size liner can you fit in the fireplace flue? You are probably going to want 6" for an insert, but you also want space for insulation, especially if it's an exterior chimney.

Be aware going into it that installing two liners might cost more than your fancy new insert. Might cost a lot more if you have someone else do it.

Because it's messy, it stinks, it needs continuous renewal, and it prevents you from painting it in the future once you're tired of the work and mess.

A piece of cardboard for a shield and a can of paint is all that's needed, it'll last for years.
Thank you for your reply. I feel you have saved me from making a huge mistake....Twice, my difiant needs a face lift too.

I love my Vigilant. I cook on the griddle and keep an old enamel coffee pot to humidify the air. I put wonderboard, wire mesh and cultured river rock stone cemented behind the stove- It serves as a great heat sin radiant heat source..never a worry about fire..I have the stove shields and a shield on the lower stove pipe.
I have replaced the ash fettle twice on my Vigilant. if you can find one now as a spare buy it the price keeps going up
It does eat up the oxygen in the room, so have an air inlet source if your room is airtight
1a woodstove closed doors.jpg

Attachments

• 1a woodstove open doors fixed.jpg
    1a woodstove open doors fixed.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,259