Vermont Castings Winter Warm Small: Help with Temperature Control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isuphipsi1052

Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Upstate NY - Near Rochester
Hopefully I'm posting in the correct forum location. My question regards the correct operating temperature for this VC model. If I purchase a "stove top thermometer" where should this device be placed to function correctly, and what operating temperature range should I be looking for to ensure proper combustion and safety. Also, what model or type stove top thermometer would you folks recommend?

Any help would be appreciated...

I know MoHeat has a WWL, might be the same controls.

"Paging Mo to the front" :coolsmile:

Oh, and this is the thermometer I have. I just place it on the middle stone on top of my stove:

http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/A48210.htm

I'm sure the guys will try to get you to get the laser thermometer. FIGHT THE URGE!!!!! :p

I just got off the phone with a VC tech and he told me to remove the top panel and get a reading off of the top of the insert. I’ll get back to you guys soon.

Steve

First of all your owner's manual should advise you of proper stove opperations The winter warm is a cat combustor stove to get into secondary burning two things has to happen
establish a good bed of glowing coals and get the current load of wood fully involved in the burn cycle. Usually that occures after stove temps exceed 500 degrees
The fiesst few splits are burnt to heat up your stove and to establish the bed of glowing coals then add the next larger splits a with the air mostly open get them going well into the fire
about 20 or so minutes then activate the damper to initiate the secondary burn and sit back and enjoy hours of even heat.

If you are not achieving this similar sucess then other factors have to be discussed such as you venting. or youe wood is b not dry enough and thirdly when is the last time the cat combustor has been cleamed? Again at the back of your owners manual It will tell you how to remove it and clean it. Are we talking about a new stove?

good opperational range stove top thermo readings 500- 650. A lot of people with these stoves, have inserted the condar probe into the cat combustor to monitor what going on

THAT won’t help your cause ...

My 2nd post wasn't meant to be rude, just surprised that my initial post didn't receive any input. I appreciate the time that people have taken to answer my question...

I just got off the phone with a VC tech and he told me to remove the top panel and get a reading off of the top of the insert.

I'm not sure that I understand the placement of the thermometer. If I remove the top panel in order to place the thermometer in that location, I assume that I would have to replace the top panel in order for the stove to maintain its aesthetics and for safety. That being said, how would I read the thermometer...

Status
Not open for further replies.