vermount castings insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzz

Jan 2, 2016
ontario
I have been burning for about 2 weeks now. I enjoy the whole experience a lot.I don't use insert as primary heat.When I leave the house for a few hours should I close the air intake aND turn off fan,or leave intake open and leave fan o

You should leave the fan on. Are you closing down the air when in the house? The insert shouldn't be run all the time with the air all the way open. At best that is inefficient. At worst it could overfire the stove and waste a lot of heat up the chimney. If the air can not be turned down 50%-75% without causing a smoldering fire then something is not right.

Assuming it's burning down (not early to mid burn) I like to turn the fan down to keep the insert as warm as I can for as long as I can and I will edge the air up. I feel like I want the heat and air to burn down the coals cleanly and send a decent amount of heat up the chimney to keep it clean as well.

Assuming it's burning down (not early to mid burn) I like to turn the fan down to keep the insert as warm as I can for as long as I can and I will edge the air up. I feel like I want the heat and air to burn down the coals cleanly and send a decent amount of heat up the chimney to keep it clean as well.
Great thanks.I just installed the insert 2 weeks ago,I had to burn the wood I bought at the same therefore it hasn't had time to dry .
Burning wood is a science unto itself.I will take the advice to not burn full out all the time.

When the stove is settled in (air reduced, fan where you like it), go about your business. If it's in the coaling stage, maybe give it more air. Always aim for a clean burn with no smoke out of the chimney. My 2 cents.

Welcome to the forum! Which insert did you get?

When the stove is settled in (air reduced, fan where you like it), go about your business. If it's in the coaling stage, maybe give it more air. Always aim for a clean burn with no smoke out of the chimney. My 2 cents.

Welcome to the forum! Which insert did you get?
Fod01,

VC montpellier. Same as Yourself
It seems to run well but I had to burn the wood I bought 2 weeks ago.
I think the wood is not the best but will work towards next year preparing the wood

If the only way the fire can be maintained is with full air open then the likelihood is that either the wood is poorly seasoned or there is insufficient draft due to a too short chimney. Worst case scenario would be both conditions together.

If you are buying wood, get next's year's stash now and stack it top covered so that the prevailing winds can blow through the stacks.

If the only way the fire can be maintained is with full air open then the likelihood is that either the wood is poorly seasoned or there is insufficient draft due to a too short chimney. Worst case scenario would be both conditions together.

If you are buying wood, get next's year's stash now and stack it top covered so that the prevailing winds can blow through the stacks.
Wow 3 weeks in and I'm really enjoying my Vermount castings insert. Burns great. I love the whole experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.