Versa Grate question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty

Minister of Fire
Last week the dealer came and changed the versa grate motor in the york insert here. Tonite while I had it apart cleaning I notice that there's a space between the versa grate and the burn pot...enough so that if you throw pellets in the pot that some could spill out under the burn pot into the ash pan. So I'm looking at it and the fact that the versa grate could flop back and forth on both sides quite a bit. I thought it odd it did this, I never remembered it being this loose before. Then I notice 2 screws on the bushing coming out the back wall that runs it, and they looked adjustable. The burn pot has two little ears that stick down and look like the grate is supposed to ride back and forth at that level. I readjusted this up (took a few tries because you have to take everything out to loosen/tighten the screws) and it's not tight tight now but the clearance is much closer than it was before and nothing can fall through now..

Is this correct on how it's supposed to sit under the burn pot? Is it supposed to be adjusted up til it rides against the bottom of the burn pot?

All but 3 holes in the versa grate were plugged with ash... one day. I'm wondering if this versagrate clearance issue is/was part of my problem?

Not sure...mine flops around like it should. Any stray pellets would stay under the grate until you use the shaker rod or you clean under the grate.

Plugged holes seem to indicate a dirty burn or pellets...

If you clean your stove krooser does the versa grate go flip flop under the burn pot side to side when you touch it with your fingers or is it adjusted up high enough that it doesn't?

The versa grate in my Prescott flops around,which I like because when I scrape the burn pot the ash just falls down and a quick shake of the shaker rod the ash falls right in the pan.

should be about 1/8" or less rocking should not lift the burn pot up when running also under the front trim piece is another adjustment if it is newer older ones only have the back adjustment. Also make sure the push rod that rides on the cam the open end is facing up the owners manual pic has it in the wrong postion.

Salty said:
If you clean your stove krooser does the versa grate go flip flop under the burn pot side to side when you touch it with your fingers or is it adjusted up high enough that it doesn't?

It should be loose enough to flop around as that's how it helps keep the burn pot clean...

I don't buy that because it was loose enough for pellets to fall out of the burn pot and make a pile in the ash pan. Right now it can flip flop back and forth just a tad but not enough for anything to fall out of the pot.

I'm going to call St Croix today and see what they say.

krooser said:
Salty said:

It should be loose enough to flop around as that's how it helps keep the burn pot clean...

Salty said:
I don't buy that because it was loose enough for pellets to fall out of the burn pot and make a pile in the ash pan. Right now it can flip flop back and forth just a tad but not enough for anything to fall out of the pot.

I'm going to call St Croix today and see what they say.

krooser said:
Salty said:

Good idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.