vertical direct vent, how high above roof peak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

grumol

Nov 19, 2021
silver city, new mexico
running 4" coaxial duravent vertically from my vc stardance, set about 2' to the side of the roof peak, a vertical run of about 10', zero horizontal -- wondering how high above the roof peak i need to be -- i'm new to gas, only previous experience was with wood.

running 4" coaxial duravent vertically from my vc stardance, set about 2' to the side of the roof peak, a vertical run of about 10', zero horizontal -- wondering how high above the roof peak i need to be -- i'm new to gas, only previous experience was with wood.
Since you dont have to worry about snow where you are, i would just go high enough to keep rain drops from bouncing up in the bottom of the vent. 12 to 18 inches....

yes, i previously read not only my manual, but several others, and they said that with the low pitch of my roof, the relation to the roof peak was irellevent, and needed to only be 1' above the roof exit point -- just wanted confirmation of that, since it contradicts my previous experience with wood stoves -- seems like you are confirming that

yes, i previously read not only my manual, but several others, and they said that with the low pitch of my roof, the relation to the roof peak was irellevent, and needed to only be 1' above the roof exit point -- just wanted confirmation of that, since it contradicts my previous experience with wood stoves -- seems like you are confirming that
There is actually a gas vent rule that goes by the pitch of the roof in addition to minimums for snow areas.

Attachments

• a018f2f2-d4e6-4a98-b8d3-aa28cd5dc86f.pdf
    445.1 KB · Views: 91
i admit that i had to hear it from a real live source before i would completely believe it, but yes, i have seen that chart -- but because i don't understand the science, and it does not conform with what i would do with a wood chimney, i was skeptical -- thanks for re-affirming it, i now know how to proceed