Vertical Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Crummy

Sep 2, 2022
North Pole, AK
Just finished up a splitter project where I converted a new box store splitter into a vertical table top splitter. Been watching too many videos of the Eastonmade Axis I guess. Still needs paint but it didn't turn out too bad. Tried it out on a few rounds tonight and it's really comfortable to run. No more chasing wood off the horizontal splitter. Really nice having the wood stay on the table until your ready to stack it
IMG_20221027_164347.jpg

Great idea. Looks like my Oregon.

Interesting...
Can the beam go back horizontal?

Nice job
looks like it works great for you.

Reactions: Crummy
Do you move it around in the yard? I'm thinking it may be unstable (top heavy).

Do you move it around in the yard? I'm thinking it may be unstable (top heavy).
I was thinking it might be when I started the build but turns out it's fine. Had it hooked on the tractor last night and did some serious rocking yet it remained on the ground. Could probably roll in on the highway behind a pickup at high speeds but around the shop behind the tractor it's plenty stable,

If it is too top heavy, you could always add a longer axle/bigger tires in the future.
It is a nice work surface.

If it is too top heavy, you could always add a longer axle/bigger tires in the future.
It is a nice work surface.
Taller tires it won't fit through the shop door and wider axle would take up more storage. Currently 4' wide. Not as top heavy as one might think including me. Two guys can't push it over.

Most important question... what's the cycle time?

Do keep in mind that I may be the only user of the forum that watches the kinetic flywheel devices with envy, rather than fear. ;lol

No, an electric kinetic splitter is on my wishlist for when I'm too crappy to split by hand
Looking at them with large envy

Most important question... what's the cycle time?

Do keep in mind that I may be the only user of the forum that watches the kinetic flywheel devices with envy, rather than fear. ;lol
Factory cycle time on that splitter was 14 seconds. I reduced the stroke from 25" to 19" making it closer to 10 seconds. The spruce around here only requires that the wedge travels less than half the way through the round to make a split so in the end cycle time is under 5 seconds. Judging from the rounds I split last night it seems to be much faster than me. I'd probably lose a hand in one of them high speed units.

What's your cylinder bore and pump GPM? I'd bet we can drop that cycle time another 30% or more... get you into serious production rates. ::-)

Reactions: ClintonH
Just finished up a splitter project where I converted a new box store splitter into a vertical table top splitter. Been watching too many videos of the Eastonmade Axis I guess. Still needs paint but it didn't turn out too bad. Tried it out on a few rounds tonight and it's really comfortable to run. No more chasing wood off the horizontal splitter. Really nice having the wood stay on the table until your ready to stack it View attachment 301521
My splitter that I got from tractor supply black friday for 1200, is 25 ton. It splits upright and horizontal. I tried vert and didnt like it. Then my neighbor chopped his finger off because he was holding the round from falling out. You may want to consider something that backleans the pieces to avoid ending up like said neighbor.

What I hate is when the pieces fall on my feet when used horizontal. I normally wear the right boots but this one time...and black toe.

My splitter that I got from tractor supply black friday for 1200, is 25 ton. It splits upright and horizontal. I tried vert and didnt like it. Then my neighbor chopped his finger off because he was holding the round from falling out. You may want to consider something that backleans the pieces to avoid ending up like said neighbor.

What I hate is when the pieces fall on my feet when used horizontal. I normally wear the right boots but this one time...and black toe.
Were you using it vertical with it on the ground or did you rig up a table? A horizontal/vertical splitter is about worthless in the vertical position. Who wants to split wood on their knees. With the piece on a 18"x4' table with a full back you don't have to touch the wood when it's splitting. On a factory splitter you do have to hold the wood up on the backstop when in the vertical position.

Last edited:
Were you using it vertical with it on the ground or did you rig up a table? A horizontal/vertical splitter is about worthless in the horizontal position. Who wants to split wood on their knees. With the piece on a 18"x4' table with a full back you don't have to touch the wood when it's splitting. On a factory splitter you do have to hold the wood up on the backstop when in the vertical position.
I use mine horizontal and I try to stop it before it knocks pieces off the tiny table. I tried it vertical with the foot of where you put the log on the ground. You can sit on a gal bucket or a small step stool, but im too big to be sitting there and then I have to get up and get more wood.. It is easier for me to bend down and grab wood than to sit and grab it. I have a cart that I load up full and take to the splitter, it's easier to pull out of while IM standing than to try and get it out of the cart sitting down.

I would love a setup like pictured if I had a conveyor belt feed wood to me and another one taking it away :)

I use mine horizontal and I try to stop it before it knocks pieces off the tiny table. I tried it vertical with the foot of where you put the log on the ground. You can sit on a gal bucket or a small step stool, but im too big to be sitting there and then I have to get up and get more wood.. It is easier for me to bend down and grab wood than to sit and grab it. I have a cart that I load up full and take to the splitter, it's easier to pull out of while IM standing than to try and get it out of the cart sitting down.

I would love a setup like pictured if I had a conveyor belt feed wood to me and another one taking it away :)
Yeah that vertical splitting with the tiny backstop on the ground is not only inconvenient it's dangerous. Check out Eastonmade Axis vertical splitter as they have the conveyor taking it away and a log lift feeding it. All it takes is lots of money (like $17,000) and you could have your very own.

Yeah that vertical splitting with the tiny backstop on the ground is not only inconvenient it's dangerous. Check out Eastonmade Axis vertical splitter as they have the conveyor taking it away and a log lift feeding it. All it takes is lots of money (like $17,000) and you could have your very own.
when I win the lottery....

well I guess I wont be splitting wood then will I?

• Haha
Reactions: Ashful
No idea on cylinder bore. Standard Oregon 30 Ton box store splitter. Pump is 2 Stage 14 GPM.

Interesting, most 4.5" machines are badged 28 ton, and most 5" machines are badged 35 ton. Not sure if this mfg is running a lower pressure relief on a 5" machine, or cranking up the pressure on a 4.5" bore. Also, 14 GPM is a less common pump size to see, most jump from 11 GPM on a 3" or 4" cylinder, to 16 GPM on a 5". Odd, all around!

I any case, the recipe for a faster cycle time is a smaller bore and minimal required stroke, on the maximum pump your engine and lines can handle. If your engine is rated above standard pump 3000 rpm, even better. If you're interested, I could give you the numbers, but we should look at your tank suction fitting (3/4" NPT?), all line sizes, and what engine you're running.

A horizontal/vertical splitter is about worthless in the horizontal position. Who wants to split wood on their knees.
I'm 6' 0" tall, or at least I was in my 20's, and I actually find my stock Speeco ("Huskee") chassis height quite comfortable in horizontal position. It's been re-fitted with a bigger engine, bigger pump, bigger lines, log catcher, but the chassis is still stock height. If the height had bothered me, believe me I'm the guy who'd be out there with the welder fixing it.

when I win the lottery....

well I guess I wont be splitting wood then will I?
Why not? What else are you going to do with your new-found free time, after telling your boss where to stick that job?

I'm 6' 0" tall, or at least I was in my 20's, and I actually find my stock Speeco ("Huskee") chassis height quite comfortable in horizontal position.
I meant to say worthless in vertical position when the backstop is on the ground. They are fine in horizontal position. I'll see if I can edit

Interesting, most 4.5" machines are badged 28 ton, and most 5" machines are badged 35 ton. Not sure if this mfg is running a lower pressure relief on a 5" machine, or cranking up the pressure on a 4.5" bore. Also, 14 GPM is a less common pump size to see, most jump from 11 GPM on a 3" or 4" cylinder, to 16 GPM on a 5". Odd, all around!

I any case, the recipe for a faster cycle time is a smaller bore and minimal required stroke, on the maximum pump your engine and lines can handle. If your engine is rated above standard pump 3000 rpm, even better. If you're interested, I could give you the numbers, but we should look at your tank suction fitting (3/4" NPT?), all line sizes, and what engine you're running.
The specs on the Oregon site say 4.5" and 14gpm. It's actually plenty fast for me as I'm just enjoying myself splitting a few cords. If I ever decide to start selling wood then I'll start upgrading but I'm guessing that's a never ending situation. Faster pump needs more hp then larger valves and larger line and larger tank and all that costs $$$. This was a budget build so I'm going to try and keep it that way. With the easy splitting spruce I'm guessing cycle time is under 5 seconds with the wedge starting only 3" above the 16" round and only needing to go down less than half way. I do have to go farther down on knotty splits but you get the idea.

Reactions: Ashful