Victorian coal burning fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisB

Apr 19, 2009
NE Texas
I recently bought a 2 story 2900 sq ft home built in 1892. There are two fireplaces, one downstairs and one upstairs, which share one chimney. There are two more chimneys that each have a hole (flue vent?) at about 7' or 8' feet, one on the first floor and one on the second floor in each chimney. There is a fourth chimney which actually starts about mid-way up a wall in one of the second story rooms. From what I gather, the fireplaces were for coal, they're very shallow and small. As for the other chimneys, I guess they were for coal or woodburning stoves. I would like to use wood or pellet burning stoves where the three chimneys are, and I'd like to use the fireplaces, too, if possible. I live in Texas so I think coal is somewhat unavailable. My question is, can I modify the fireplaces somehow so I can use them for wood? And what needs to be done to the other three chimeys in order to use wood or pellet stoves? I'm assuming chimey liners should be installed in all four chimneys if they are too be used. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Gonna go out on a limb here but if you could post some photos of things, that might help spurn the conversation a little. Outdoor chimney shots, plus indoor ones of each fireplace, and clear (if possible) shots up each flue, for starters...

The upstairs/downstairs fireplaces that "share one chimney" - there are two flues? or just one shared flue? (hint: you don't want the latter)

If you're going to put in wood or pellet burners, yes you would probably do best to line 100+ yr old flues. Your best info tho is going to come from several really clear photos posted here, and/or getting a chimney sweep / liner installer out to visit you and check each and every flue out. You'll very likely have to completely re-do your hearth / floor protection at every location you install a stove, too... (the floor protection requirements depend heavily on exactly what stove you decide to put in each spot)

The fireplaces you wish to keep and use - expect a little pushback on that, as they are horribly inefficient, so you would only be using them for the looks - right? If you do decide to use them, still best to get some expert opinions and evaluate your floor protection...

One thing (among literally dozens that come to mind) - how you gonna get your burning medium to those upstairs fireplaces / woodstoves? Lots of steps? Carpeting? wood hauling isn't clean work, nor is it much less frequent than daily when it's real cold.

I recommend having a certified chimney sweep come out and inspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.