Video of my smoke - do I have downdraft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Connecticut

Feb 11, 2020
NJ
Hello. I shot two videos to show how my smoke acts on average during the day. It generally goes all over the place and a lot of the times it actually goes down instead of up as you can see in the videos. Please take a look at the short clips I shot the other day. My F400 still doesn't seem to burn properly and I'm getting some smoke in the house when I open the stove door. The chimney liner is over 20 feet and it runs through the center of the house. The chimney cap is the little mushroom looking thing that comes with a liner.

If I do have downdraft, what is the easiest way to remedy this? In one of the videos I'm standing on the roof and I do a full camera shot of everything that is around me.

Thank you for looking.

Hopefully those video's were taken soon after freshly reloading the stove? Or is this just after a cold start? You really should only be exhausting that kind of smoke for a very short time at start up or reload. Fill us in on your typical stove operating routine and at what stage of the burn the vids are taken.

Reactions: Connecticut
Hopefully those video's were taken soon after freshly reloading the stove? Or is this just after a cold start? You really should only be exhausting that kind of smoke for a very short time at start up or reload. Fill us in on your typical stove operating routine and at what stage of the burn the vids are taken.

Yeah it was right after I added new wood but it burns like that most of the time. I am in the process of getting a few things corrected such as getting an OAK kit added.

My stove won't really go past 450 degrees on most days, sometimes it does get to 600 degrees but that is rare. Even though I use the same process for starting and the same firewood. Which is why I'm trying to tackle the chimney cap hoping that it has something to do with wind.

Reactions: Mech e
Check the moisture content of your wood. You need to burn hotter

Thanks, I'll check again. Last I checked it was 13-15%.
How are you checking your splits? The splits selected for testing really need to be indoors long enough to be at room temp. Day or two perhaps to be safe. Then take those splits outside and re-split them. Now you can test the middle of the freshly exposed surface (only) with your probes in line with the grain. Any other method can give you very inaccurate M/C readings. 13-15 % is a really low reading that makes me question your testing method. Is what I described your testing routine? If not, give it a try! Good luck.

Reactions: Connecticut
How are you checking your splits? The splits selected for testing really need to be indoors long enough to be at room temp. Day or two perhaps to be safe. Then take those splits outside and re-split them. Now you can test the middle of the freshly exposed surface (only) with your probes in line with the grain. Any other method can give you very inaccurate M/C readings. 13-15 % is a really low reading that makes me question your testing method. Is what I described your testing routine? If not, give it a try! Good luck.

I'll try it your way. I've been testing by splitting the pieces outside. I'll try it indoors after leaving it for two days. Thanks.

Reactions: moresnow
What I am seeing looks like atmospherics due to a low-pressure system (falling barometer). On a strong high-pressure day, the smoke will go upward. Local wind is also pushing the smoke around.
I'll try it your way. I've been testing by splitting the pieces outside. I'll try it indoors after leaving it for two days. Thanks.
Exterior testing does not indicate moisture content inside the split. The split dries from the outside in. The surface can test dry and the interior can be still damp. That's why the wood must be resplit, then tested on the freshly exposed face of the wood. Push the contacts firmly into the wood.

Reactions: MissMac
All chimneys do that when conditions are right.

All chimneys do that when conditions are right.

I agree. I'm also not as concerned with the route that the smoke is taking as much as the color. Visible smoke during the burn with a noncat is a problem. Since this is fresh wood, the color is acceptable and there is no problem shown. It's a little windy, the smoke is cold, pretty normal.

The inability to get the stove over 450 is a problem.

Reactions: Diabel
I agree with Highbeam, how long into the burn is that? If what you see dissipates really fast, is is probably steam, if it lingers it's smoke, which all stoves will do on a startup. Once you have a hot burn going there should be nothing coming out of your stack that is visible, at least not much. When I burn on damp days, I can see the smoke from my chimney in the back yard, until it's up to heat.

just as an FYI a down draft is weak draft IN your stove pipe. When you open up the door on your stove smoke leaks into the room. down draft is not associated with the the smoke the has exited the stove pipe on the outside of the house.

Reactions: blacktail
As said, the wind driven swirling smoke is normal. On a windy day the roof line adds to the issue. A bit higher chimney to get it into cleaner air might help. I'm guessing it's fine when there is no wind.
As to the OAK. I believe the test for this is, crack a window or door. If the burn is improved you may need one. Otherwise it's probably not needed.
Good dry wood, stacked loosely, check the cap screen. It maybe getting plugged.

They say cold wood will test false low moisture. I don't know how much a factor it actually is, though. Or I don't remember if someone already answered that question by me.. ;lol
Local wind is also pushing the smoke around.
That's what I see; Wind coming over the ridge of the roof, dipping down the other side, and pulling some smoke with it. Looks like the ridge bisects the chimney.
Is that the direction of the prevailing wind?
I'm jumping on board, too...wet wood=low stove temp.
My stove won't really go past 450 degrees on most days
Go to the black stripe at the top of the page, click your user name, and add your stove to your signature..you'll get more hits from users of the same stove.