Vigilant 8Inch to 6in clay chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dbredell

Jan 15, 2024
Newfield
I had the chimney cleaner out and he noticed a lot of soot in the chimney. The chimney is clay and he recommended a steel liner going inside of it. Only a 6 or maybe a 7 inch would fit into the chimney. Our vigilant is an 8 inch exhaust. They said I can buy a whole new fireplace which I don’t want to because a big reason we bought this house was for the stove. Or I can keep the stove and have to rebuild the chimney for like 5k.
Obviously the cheapest route would be to just adapt the 8Inch to the 6inch.

Any thoughts or recommendations ?

46C0FF2F-B9C4-416C-9137-F0F47550AA25.jpeg

What are the current inside dimensions of the flue? Is it clay lined?

How tall is the chimney? You may be able to connect the stove to a 6" liner if tall enough, using a reducer. Doing so may mean it can't be used as a fireplace with the doors open. Or the clay liner may need to be busted out to increase room for an 8" liner. If the current chimney is rectangular, an oval liner may be the solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: ComputerGuy
Was soot the only thing he found? Soot itself isn’t dangerous. Did he leave you anything written?

With an older stove like that, I’d want to look it over carefully and make sure that it’s not only in good cosmetic shape, but materially too. If you put thousands of dollars into the chimney so that stove would work, then shortly after found out it was failing, I’d be heartbroken.

Reactions: ComputerGuy
Was soot the only thing he found? Soot itself isn’t dangerous. Did he leave you anything written?

With an older stove like that, I’d want to look it over carefully and make sure that it’s not only in good cosmetic shape, but materially too. If you put thousands of dollars into the chimney so that stove would work, then shortly after found out it was failing, I’d be heartbroken.
He said there was a little crack in the chimney which being clogged with soot.

He looked over the stove and found no flaws

Also, if you do use it with the doors open what would happen? Smoke?
Yes, smoke spillage would be an issue. The chimney is not very tall so see my revised comments above.

What are the current inside dimensions of the flue? Is it clay lined?

How tall is the chimney? You may be able to connect the stove to a 6" liner if tall enough, using a reducer. Doing so may mean it can't be used as a fireplace with the doors open. Or the clay liner may need to be busted out to increase room for an 8" liner. If the current chimney is rectangular, an oval liner may be the solution.
The chimney is about 15 foot high. It’s 7.5 inches on the inside currently but it’s clay. He told me a 6 inch would fit in it but you can’t go from a 8Inch to 6inch. The exhaust is oval

Yeah the clay can definitely be removed allowing for 7" but probably not 8"

Yeah the clay can definitely be removed allowing for 7" but probably not 8"
I'm wondering if this has a rectangular chimney liner like 7x11 ID. If so, an 8" equiv. oval liner may fit.

I'm wondering if this has a rectangular chimney liner like 7x11 ID. If so, an 8" equiv. oval liner may fit.
Yes that would work if it's a rectangle