Vigilant 8Inch to 6in clay chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think I’d find out if you need to do it at all.

You may be stressing out over nothing.
Well he tried to stick an 8 inch liner down there and he couldnt. So something needs done at least the new liner. If 8 inches couldn’t fit then obviously a smaller one would have to. Would it be ok going 8 inches to smaller chimney pipe?

Well he tried to stick an 8 inch liner down there and he couldnt. So something needs done at least the new liner. If 8 inches couldn’t fit then obviously a smaller one would have to. Would it be ok going 8 inches to smaller chimney pipe?
The old clay needs to come out. Then an insulated 7" would fit. That would probably work with your stove. But honestly I would be looking for a different stove

The old clay needs to come out. Then an insulated 7" would fit. That would probably work with your stove. But honestly I would be looking for a different stove
How come? We love the older stoves compared to todays. I feel like the newer ones just don’t get hot like the older ones.

How come? We love the older stoves compared to todays. I feel like the newer ones just don’t get hot like the older ones.
That is a misperception. One just has to select a radiant stove vs one that is convective in design. The problem is that as of 2020 some of the large radiant stoves stopped production. If you could find a used Jotul F600 or a Quadrafire Isle Royale in excellent condition or rebuilt, you would have a modern radiant stove. The Jotul F500v3 is new, but has been somewhat troublesome for many owners. The main issue seems to be the combuster getting plugged with ash. There are also new Vermont Castings stoves. Overtime, the are higher maintainance than the old Vigilant, but they are beautiful and still quite radiant stoves. Regardless, a newer stove will likely take a 6" liner and it will provide a beatiful fire view when burning, even with the door closed.