Vigilant mystery device...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Iburnslow

Nov 29, 2016
MA
I bought this Vigilant on FB Marketplace in the Fall. He wasn't a 'stove guy' and didn't know much about the stove, only that he bought it and it was oversized for the room he was heating with it, so that's why it was for sale. It needed all new gaskets, and some work on the damper, which I didn't have much difficulty with. However, it has this weird pulley type contraption on the front of it. It's broken and doesn't move or appear to be connected to anything internally. I downloaded the manuals from VC online, and none of them reference this device on the stove. Just wondering if anyone can share any input about what it might've been used for? Also, any way to semi-accurately date this stove? Thanks so much in advance for any insight!

image0-6.jpeg
image1-7.jpeg

I bought this Vigilant on FB Marketplace in the Fall. He wasn't a 'stove guy' and didn't know much about the stove, only that he bought it and it was oversized for the room he was heating with it, so that's why it was for sale. It needed all new gaskets, and some work on the damper, which I didn't have much difficulty with. However, it has this weird pulley type contraption on the front of it. It's broken and doesn't move or appear to be connected to anything internally. I downloaded the manuals from VC online, and none of them reference this device on the stove. Just wondering if anyone can share any input about what it might've been used for? Also, any way to semi-accurately date this stove? Thanks so much in advance for any insight!

View attachment 274124View attachment 274125
It is part of the coal shaker system it is a coal stove

It is part of the coal shaker system it is a coal stove

No kidding?! Hmpf....so I could theoretically burn coal in this stove? That would be fantastic! What exactly did a 'shaker' do? This one doesn't seem to be operating. If I pull the shaker, nothing happens. Any issues with me burning wood in it as I currently am? Thanks for the input!

No kidding?! Hmpf....so I could theoretically burn coal in this stove? That would be fantastic! What exactly did a 'shaker' do? This one doesn't seem to be operating. If I pull the shaker, nothing happens. Any issues with me burning wood in it as I currently am? Thanks for the input!
You can burn wood in it but it really isn't a good woodburner at all. There is a handle missing that would go through that ring down to the hole below to give you leverage. What does the interior look like? Are the shaker grates there?

Last edited:
Reactions: Iburnslow
i posted about this earlier. i didn't realize, but at least with the vigilant, VC came out with a "multi-fuel" stove that was set up to burn either coal or wood (i assume without conversion). i believe they made them from 1982-92. this may be the stove you have. take an interior picture.

Awesome! Thanks for posting that schematic! I'll try to take some interior pics. It's in use right now...

Yes and like most multi fuel stoves it does coal pretty well and wood pretty poorly

Interesting. I was just mentioning to a buddy that I'm ripping through wood like crazy with it. Even when it's 'shut-down'. This is probably why. I didn't realize it was a multi-stove...

Interesting. I was just mentioning to a buddy that I'm ripping through wood like crazy with it. Even when it's 'shut-down'. This is probably why. I didn't realize it was a multi-stove...
Yeah burning wood in a coal stove will do that

Pics of the inside as requested.
image0-7.jpeg

image3-3.jpeg

image2-5.jpeg

image3-3.jpeg

image4-2.jpeg

definitely the multi fuel version. you may want to update your listed stoves!

....and change my handle to "Iburnfast"...