Virginia golden pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Teddyb

Jul 3, 2019
Cincinnati
Was walking around lowes in cincy,saw they had these pellets out,any reviews.bags say softwood, never saw them at lowes before,I usually burn somersets,just curious if anyone had tried these.

I bought 3 bags of them a few days ago. Lowes in Northern Virginia is selling them as well as Lignetics Green Supreme (also bought 3 bags of those).

I hope they're good. Last season I was getting Cheat Rivers from Lowes, which I really liked.

Rumor is that they are Easy blaze , some TSC stores are selling them also

Reactions: mirwin22031
Bought 10 bags from my local Lowes today, are they really that good?, should I buy a Ton?

Aren't they the same?, barcode scanner comes up nothing, oil's going to be wicked cheap, i'm laid off right now and don't have room to store a ton nor want too, past 3 yours have not burned pellets much just buy 10 bags at a time, There ok, heat wise by more ash than doug fir's which barely have any ash

Pellet-King can you share which Lowes you found them in? Couple years back I found these once in Putnam TCS and really liked how they burned and how much heat generated.

check your local TSC store many of them currently have them

Pellet-King can you share which Lowes you found them in? Couple years back I found these once in Putnam TCS and really liked how they burned and how much heat generated.
They were purchased in Lowes Bloomfield ct, seems there gone this yr, saw some early on at Home depot enfield ct, called every lowes and HD in mass and ct...nothing

Anyone seen these this fall?

My one local TSC has them

I bought these last year at TSC in northern NJ, and just picked up a second load today.
They are southern yellow pine and burned very well for me last year.
I just opened up a bag from this years supply and dumped it into the stove, pellet sizes are fairly uniform, and not a lot of sawdust either.

They burned with about half the ash of the Green Supremes' that everyone up here carries, the ash is light grey in color as opposed to the very dark grey / black ash of the hardwood pellets.

Reactions: Pellet-King
I bought these last year at TSC in northern NJ, and just picked up a second load today.
They are southern yellow pine and burned very well for me last year.
I just opened up a bag from this years supply and dumped it into the stove, pellet sizes are fairly uniform, and not a lot of sawdust either.

They burned with about half the ash of the Green Supremes' that everyone up here carries, the ash is light grey in color as opposed to the very dark grey / black ash of the hardwood pellets.
Softies leave much less ash than hardwoods and burn in the upper 8K btu..box store stufg burn in lower 8K.

Reactions: Pellet-King
Just completed my 2021/2022 stash with a ton of Virginia Golden's.

Reactions: Tonyray
Yes, they are currently in Lowes and Home Depot in the Fredericksburg, VA area. I already have all the pellets I need this season, but I bought four bags to try out.
Seems there only in the local area there made this yr. HD/Lowes went crazy with a huge deal from Lignetics and every store around here only sell's Green Supremes, I have about 15 bags left, there buried under about 30 bags of Penningtons I picked up from Walmart last Feb for $1 a bag, There coming out of hiding today!!

Seems there only in the local area there made this yr. HD/Lowes went crazy with a huge deal from Lignetics and every store around here only sell's Green Supremes, I have about 15 bags left, there buried under about 30 bags of Penningtons I picked up from Walmart last Feb for $1 a bag, There coming out of hiding today!!
Woot, gotta love cheap Penningtons! I was hoping I could get $1 Penningtons, but had to settle for $2. Knuckleheads at the Walmart I got mine at were happy to ruin several tons leaving them uncovered at the front of the store outside. Wouldn't sell cheaper, ended up dumping them end of last March.
My local Walmart is selling them for over $6, I think just over $6.50. Not worth that price!

Just bought 4 bags of Virginia Golden pellets from lowes. Nice dry bags stored under cover.

I filled my hopper with one bag. I noticed it wasn't as full as when I use my other brands.
Burned well. Filled another bag in empty hopper. Still seemed low. Decided I'd weigh the remaining bags. 34.5 lbs,35.4lbs. Weighed my O'Malley that have been stored in dry basement. 39.5 lbs. If they are all 35lb bags you're looking at 250lbs short per ton or about 6 bags. Ok...$36 bucks not huge but I think this is intentional and a way to shaft the consumer. Of course...their website doesn't work, email bounced back and as of today Lowes says they aren't carrying them anymore. Attached pictures of bag of VG, O'Malley and my scale with a 25lb weight on for accuracy.

20220116_205429.jpg 20220116_205325.jpg 20220116_205535.jpg

I stopped by Home Depot yesterday and they had an open pallet of VA Golden on the floor, so I decided to grab five bags. I purchased 5 bags about two months ago and remembering that I could easily get two bags into the hopper of my Harmon P68C. Other brands (OMalleys and Pennington's) resulted in barely getting it all into the hopper or having a few cups of pellets left over.
I weighed a few of the bags I got yesterday and found two that I weighed were at 37.4lbs. Ironically, one of the five bags I purchased was ripped open (10% discount) weighed 40.5lbs. It was a relatively small tear, so it is unlikely employees swept up extra from any other bags that ripped and crammed them in, and there were no other signs or spills around the pallet. Go figure. Maybe across a full pallet, the diff isn't as much as you might think. They still need to calibrate their equipment though. Being shorted 5 or 6 bags is wrong...
FWIW, I grabbed a bag of OMalleys from my stack in the basement and it was at 39.8lbs.