Vista Classic, is it the one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pnnf

Oct 29, 2021
Hello everyone, I posted another thread to get some help on what I thought was "the" stove for me. I received great advice and have decided, due to clearances, to return the US2000 and get a better stove. I live in a single wide mobile home so I am looking at approved stoves that have a fresh air intake on them. I'm also dealing with tight clearances so the stove isn't sitting out in the middle of an opening into the kitchen. I dont have a big budget so the search has been interesting to say the least. Im going to have to up the budget some though. BeGreen gave great advice on upgrading from DuraVent to DuraTech so I have upped the budget on the chimney pipe as well. I do not plan on using the stove year all season as I need the furnace running to keep heat in the underbelly so the pipes dont freeze. I wanting to have it for days its cold but not freezing and for emergencies when the power goes out. My home is a tad under 1300 sq/ft. if i close off the secondary interior doors im sitting at about 800 sq/ft of open living space which I can use comfortably in a power outage. . Ive looked at the Dwarf 5k, the squirrel and the mini cubic as well as others that show up in a search for small wood stoves. Seems that search yields results for RV's and tiny homes. My home is small but not that small. Looking for "kw" size stoves shows me everything from the UK and other countries. Then I came across the PE Vista Classic. I really like this stove. It looks like the more expensive ones but much closer to my budget. It looks like it comes with heat shield on the sides as well as the rear. This is good for the clearances that Im needing. The manual says with double wall pipe the rear and sides are 8" to combustibles. Would i still need wall protection? I could use that budget and put it toward the stove and pipe. What are your thoughts on the Vista Classic?

Here is a pic of the space with measurements. The cardboard on the ceiling is template for the ceiling box location between rafters. The wood stove in the pic will soon be taken back for a refund and hopefully replaced with a Vista :)
stove.jpg

Clearances are:
95" from top of carpet to ceiling
55.5" from wing wall (inside corner) to couch arm
27.5" wing wall (inside corner to linoleum)

The bar top under the column hangs over the drywall by 2". The manual says that with double wall stove pipe (Ill use a DuraVent DVL slip pipe, collar to ceiling box) the clearance needs to be 8" so I would have the Vista Classic no closer the 10" to the wing wall. 8" from the rear of the stove to the drywall with the stove measuring 23 1/4" would put it about 31 1/4" making it stick out past the wing wall about 4 1/4".

vista classic measurements.png

If i do wall protection how much can I reduce the clearance? This what the Vista manual says ...

"Clearances may be reduced with various heat shielding/insulating materials. Consult CSA B365 or NFPA 211 and local fire codes and authorities for approval. For close clearances, use a listed double-wall connector"

vista clearences.png

Worst case I can live with a 4" protrusion into a 7' archway to keep the drywall safe. Ill be building a hearth out of 2x4's topped with 20x20 hearth stone and plan on making the front section detachable so I can remove it from the walkway in the off months.

What are your thoughts? Do you think the Vista Classic will work?

Thank you for any help~

I've been looking and trying to learn about clearances. I found that in the NFPA 211 , Table 12.6.2.1 Reduction of Appliance Clearance with Specified Forms of Protection part (d) it says up to a 66% Maximum Allowable Reduction in Clearance as a wall protector with a 3½ in. (90 mm) thick masonry wall with ventilated air space. I had planned on using manufactured stone on durarock board with the 1" air space behind as well as leaving 1" at the bottom and top. So what Im getting out of this is that 66% of 8 is 5.28. So does that mean that I can subtract the 5.28 from 8 and need only a 2 3/4 distance from the combustible? Seems odd to slam the stove right up against the rock. I know the stove pipe has its own requirements as well. The rock will go all the way up the wall so would the reduction apply to the pipe as well? im not too worried about space to clean or service. Im more concerned about fitting it in the space. If I can gain couple extra inches in this fight Id be happy. Please let me know if im looking and going about this the right way. thank you~

one more thought ... if im thinking about this math correctly I may be able to just keep the stove I have. Im just getting more confused. hopefully someone will chime in ...

As noted in the other thread, 12" is the minimum distance permitted unless otherwise documented in the stove manual. For the Vista, the tested clearance minimum is 8". It's a good stove and fit for this setting. If you get PE's ok to reduce the clearances in writing, then it should be ok.
Remember, the clearances are to the nearest combustible which is the sheetrock and studs in this case, not to the face of the heat shield.

Original thread here:

As noted in the other thread, 12" is the minimum distance permitted unless otherwise documented in the stove manual. For the Vista, the tested clearance minimum is 8". It's a good stove and fit for this setting. If you get PE's ok to reduce the clearances in writing, then it should be ok.
Remember, the clearances are to the nearest combustible which is the sheetrock and studs in this case, not to the face of the heat shield.

Original thread here:
Okay thank you very much. I definitely would rather go with the 8 inches since that's what I'm needing. I really appreciate the help I'll see about getting the Vista. Thanks again I'll come back and post pictures and then the finished job. Have a great day

Also check out the Drolet Escape 1500 with the heat shielding option. It has very close cleararnces.