Vistaflame pellet insert auger noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saturnthegiant

Hearth Supporter
Dec 10, 2008
NE Arkansas
Hi everyone. I have a Vistflame VF-100 pellet burning fireplace insert that was installed when we bought our house 4 years ago. It has worked flawlessly until this season, as i attempted to start it up the auger started making a loud grinding noise. It sounds almost like bad bearings, and it will make the noise about halfway through as the auger makes one complete turn, the it will run quietly until another half turn then starts again. I have the owners manual and have read through it but it doesn't mention a way to oil the auger bearings or check them. I'm not even sure about the right way to get inside where the auger is. I wondered if any of you have any experience with this problem, is it something that can be fixed or replaced?

We truly love this little stove, and it cuts down on the heating bills greatly. Any help will be appreciated, looking forward to being part of the forum. Thanks!

Mike

saturnthegiant said:
Hi everyone. I have a Vistflame VF-100 pellet burning fireplace insert that was installed when we bought our house 4 years ago. It has worked flawlessly until this season, as i attempted to start it up the auger started making a loud grinding noise. It sounds almost like bad bearings, and it will make the noise about halfway through as the auger makes one complete turn, the it will run quietly until another half turn then starts again. I have the owners manual and have read through it but it doesn't mention a way to oil the auger bearings or check them. I'm not even sure about the right way to get inside where the auger is. I wondered if any of you have any experience with this problem, is it something that can be fixed or replaced?

We truly love this little stove, and it cuts down on the heating bills greatly. Any help will be appreciated, looking forward to being part of the forum. Thanks!

Mike

Vista Flame is an INTERNET branded Enviro Fire stove. EF3 that was sold on the internet.

Best to replace the auger motor (come as gearbox and motor) they last 2 -10 years depending on the augers systems and what you cram into it.
http://www.hearthtools.com/enviro_pellet.htm

Ok, thanks a bunch! Now, does anyone have any advice on changing one of these? I'm not even sure how to get in where the motor is! And how about the auger bushings, would it be wise to replace these also?

saturnthegiant said:
Ok, thanks a bunch! Now, does anyone have any advice on changing one of these? I'm not even sure how to get in where the motor is! And how about the auger bushings, would it be wise to replace these also?

in 19 years I have only changed one auger bushing.

the auger motor is kind of easy to get to
best to open the side remove the Room air blower for easy access to the set screw and then and the back panel to pull the motor out.
When you take the blower out blow it out with air before you put it back. Air compressor or a leaf blower works good.

Status
Not open for further replies.