VistaFlame VF-170 heat settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breezy

Oct 11, 2014
Central New York
Hey folks, i just bought a brand new vista flame VF-170 (Enviro Maxx). While i have only had this stove for a few days i was an endless tinkerer with my Englander PDV-25 (99') and decided to get a jump on this one before the weather takes it's turn for the worse.

The one thing i have run into is when i put it on the lowest setting the room blower goes down to what feels like nothing. When i put my hand in front of the output i feel gentle heat coming out but feel like it's from normal heat convection. Can any Envrio or VIstaflame owners give me some insight to this? Thanks a bunch.

P.S. When i dropped the setting from 2 to 1 the room went from 82 down to 75 in about an hour so i get the feeling something may not be right.

P.P.S Long time lurker first time poster. You folks are always full of great information.

The control on the VF-170 or Enviro Maxx has the blower shut off on low heat range because the blower CFM is big and the air temps would drop with the fan on the lowest speed they could possible set it to. But the heat exchanger is large enough that the stove will radiate enough heat to keep it from over heating. Low on these stoves are meant for the maintenance burn or pilot setting. Basically keeps the fire going so you don't need the igniter.

The fan will come back on from level 2 and up. What you could do is use the stat and set the control to high/low with the stove on heat setting/level 2. Once the stat drops below the setting the stove will go to high(2) and the fan will come on. Once the stat is satisfied, The control will return to the pilot setting.

Or just run it on heat level 2 with the stat and control on auto/off

Reactions: Breezy
The control on the VF-170 or Enviro Maxx has the blower shut off on low heat range because the blower CFM is big and the air temps would drop with the fan on the lowest speed they could possible set it to. But the heat exchanger is large enough that the stove will radiate enough heat to keep it from over heating. Low on these stoves are meant for the maintenance burn or pilot setting. Basically keeps the fire going so you don't need the igniter.

The fan will come back on from level 2 and up. What you could do is use the stat and set the control to high/low with the stove on heat setting/level 2. Once the stat drops below the setting the stove will go to high(2) and the fan will come on. Once the stat is satisfied, The control will return to the pilot setting.

Or just run it on heat level 2 with the stat and control on auto/off

Thanks for the explanation of how the settings work on these models. Come winter i'll have it running 24/7 to heat my home but on these cool fall nights it's a bit much on the 2 after about an hour, but i'll gladly take that when 10 below hits. Cheers.

Reactions: stayfitz
Status
Not open for further replies.