VOGELZANG 5770 SLIMLINE PELLET STOVE (NOT GETTING TOO HOT)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

salvatore1

Sep 22, 2014
upstate ny
Hello everyone, I had bought the Vogelzang 5770, (Im a real big spender), Lol about 5 years ago. It was my first pellet stove and before that I burned wood. Anyway I had started burning for the season about a month ago. All was good with it, until the other day when it started only going to about 72 degrees,it's still blowing hot air, but no where near it's usual of up to 82, depending on how cold it is. I didn't get a chance to clean it out yet as I usually do once a month. But, I did give it a good cleaning before it was closed down for the spring, and once again before the new season. Im using stove chow, which I find to burn the hottest even over higher end brands... I've always taken good care of it, etc. Does anyone know what could be causing this ? Is something on it's way out ? Just trying to be prepared to what I might have to repair or replace ahead of time. Thank you and look forward to hearing from you guys !!

Congrats, I have had the same stove for about 5 years as well. I chose it based on price, BTU and physical size, and the farm and home was having a sale. I am happy with it and how it performs with pro pellets. I’ve never tried stove chow. There’s always the chance you got a bum bag, or maybe it absorbed a lot of humidity. Or even a bag with longer pellets than normal. Longer pellets will feed slower and therefore less heat.

I don’t know what extent the things you’ve done so I’ll throw some ideas out there.

I know you haven’t got a chance yet but I’d say give it a good cleaning. If you haven’t already, clean out the side ash traps, the exhaust blower housing, and passages. I use a thin flexible dryer lint brush. And of course the pipe. That’s always the case with mine when heat output drops and nothing else has changed. Time for a good cleaning.

Check and make sure the exhaust blower spins freely. Any binding and I’d be shopping for a replacement. Can you tell when the stove starts up, if the blower sounds normal? After 5 years you probably are used to the sound and would notice if it sounded like it was running slower.

With my old pellets I had to clean the burn pot every day or two. Now it’s every week or two. I couldn’t imagine cleaning it once a month unless you barely use it, but humidity can toughen the deposits with non use.

Do you have an outside air kit? If so, make sure nothing has gotten into it. Also check and see if your damper is in the right place, if there’s any chance a child or pet accidentally moved it. Make sure nothing crawled into your pipe too.

Hopefully you get it figured out.

Hi, yes I do have an outside air kit, never tried pro pellets before, gotta check to see if anyone sells them in my area. Yes I was thinking maybe it was a bad bag of pellets, but the next bag was the same issue... But I'm definitely going to clean the whole thing out tomorrow. Upon startup everything still sounds basically the same which is always a good sign. And yes I do use it alot and I always thought a good clean out every month was enough, but from now on being that it's already five years old, I'm going to do it every two weeks like you. Hopefully the temperature will rise up tomorrow after it's cleaned. I'll let you know tomorrow how I make out. Thanks for your reply

pellets can change from year to year in their heat output... Also allot depends on how they are stored at the supplier. I had a few bags left over from last year i noticed they did not burn as hot as some fresh bags from the store. We had such a wet wet wet summer i figured they took on moisture and were not burning as hot.. Also noticed last year the same pellet brand 2 different stores one burned noticeably hotter than the other. Funny part is the store selling them for $3 less per bag is burning hotter but all theirs are stored indoors in a semi heated building

Reactions: tlc1976
pellets can change from year to year in their heat output... Also allot depends on how they are stored at the supplier. I had a few bags left over from last year i noticed they did not burn as hot as some fresh bags from the store. We had such a wet wet wet summer i figured they took on moisture and were not burning as hot.. Also noticed last year the same pellet brand 2 different stores one burned noticeably hotter than the other. Funny part is the store selling them for $3 less per bag is burning hotter but all theirs are stored indoors in a semi heated building
Hmmm, I've just got through a really good cleaning about a couple of hours ago, and still the same thing, burning hot but the temperature is never going above 72, but you have me thinking that maybe the total batch of the pellets or some of them are bad, but it was only 10 bags that I bought, not a pallet thank God.. but if that's the case why was it burning at 80 just a couple of days ago and from the same batch ? This is baffling me. IDK...

Congrats, I have had the same stove for about 5 years as well. I chose it based on price, BTU and physical size, and the farm and home was having a sale. I am happy with it and how it performs with pro pellets. I’ve never tried stove chow. There’s always the chance you got a bum bag, or maybe it absorbed a lot of humidity. Or even a bag with longer pellets than normal. Longer pellets will feed slower and therefore less heat.

I don’t know what extent the things you’ve done so I’ll throw some ideas out there.

I know you haven’t got a chance yet but I’d say give it a good cleaning. If you haven’t already, clean out the side ash traps, the exhaust blower housing, and passages. I use a thin flexible dryer lint brush. And of course the pipe. That’s always the case with mine when heat output drops and nothing else has changed. Time for a good cleaning.

Check and make sure the exhaust blower spins freely. Any binding and I’d be shopping for a replacement. Can you tell when the stove starts up, if the blower sounds normal? After 5 years you probably are used to the sound and would notice if it sounded like it was running slower.

With my old pellets I had to clean the burn pot every day or two. Now it’s every week or two. I couldn’t imagine cleaning it once a month unless you barely use it, but humidity can toughen the deposits with non use.

Do you have an outside air kit? If so, make sure nothing has gotten into it. Also check and see if your damper is in the right place, if there’s any chance a child or pet accidentally moved it. Make sure nothing crawled into your pipe too.

Hopefully you get it figured out.
Still the same thing man, idk

Stove temperature depends on the weather outside but you know that.

It could have been a manufacturing difference and it happened in the middle of the batch.

There might be other brands in your area that burn well too. You could try something else. I just know I’ve heard from others as well that these stoves need a 100% hardwood pellet to burn well. People on here talk about Barefoot pellets, the specs seem very close to pro pellets.

It could have been a manufacturing difference and it happened in the middle of the batch.

There might be other brands in your area that burn well too. You could try something else. I just know I’ve heard from others as well that these stoves need a 100% hardwood pellet to burn well. People on here talk about Barefoot pellets, the specs seem very close to pro pellets.
Sorry for the late reply, yes I was thinking the same thing, that I bought 10 bags out of one bad batch (lucky guy, grab him a cigar) as far as the higher end pellets, I remember when I first got the stove calling different places around the area and their prices were totally outrageous...
But I used to buy Warm Front, which I could only get from a lumber yard and they were pretty good, Green supreme which I use from time to time when they're out of stove Chow, Tractor Supply brand when I have no choice at all, not crazy about them, and a couple of other high-end brands that I tried, can't remember their names. But to be perfectly honest stove chow burns the hottest out of all the ones I tried, even my neighbor has a high-end pellet stove system that he ran ducts for from his basement and vents throughout his house, uses stove chow cause they burn the hottest for him.
But what I've learned in a sense that in certain ways there are no real better brands in a sense, it's the ones that work best for your system, set-up and your climate. Just got a couple of bags tonight from a different batch LOL, I hope, just to see what's going on before I start buying pallets. Because if it's not that then I really can't figure it out and by the way I did call U.S. stove company yesterday told them the situation and they said they will call me back within a 24-hour period, and as of yet I have still not heard back from them, figured that would happen. But I'll keep you posted and who knows maybe my situation will help others that use this forum in the future. Thank you !

I’ve heard that it’s next to impossible to get through to us stove support. But I think you’ve got it figured out.

They sell stove chow here but I never tried them. If I can’t get pro pellets anymore or for a reasonable price then I’ll try stove chow next.

I run MHWP out of Holland, Michigan. TSC sells them ($212 a pallet )and been using them for a couple years now. Of course it don't matter much to me, I just use pellets with my field corn to keep the clinkers under control. One pallet lasts me an entire heating season.

I think I'd be having a look at the distribution (room air) blower. Haver you cleaned it and oiled the bearings lately, or ever? Sounds to me like a blower issue.

Last edited:

It does, would you please explain that, I'm curious.

It does, would you please explain that, I'm curious.

For example if it’s very windy like it was last weekend, it takes more to heat the house. My stove was running about 10 degrees cooler with the high winds we were having even though the temperature outside was about the same as it was the days before. Or if it’s sunny and it’s shining on the stove that will raise the temperature reading.

That is heat loss from thermal convection not actual output from the appliance. Output temperature (heated air emanating from the stove) is not at all dependent on outside temperatures. IOW, I can get 170 degree heated air from my stove whether it's +60 degrees ambient outside or -6 degrees outside. makes no difference at all.

Of course other than at 60 outside ambient you'd be running around inside nekkid and sweating your behind off. -6, probably wearing your woolies instead.

That is heat loss from thermal convection not actual output from the appliance. Output temperature (heated air emanating from the stove) is not at all dependent on outside temperatures. IOW, I can get 170 degree heated air from my stove whether it's +60 degrees ambient outside or -6 degrees outside. makes no difference at all.

Of course other than at 60 outside ambient you'd be running around inside nekkid and sweating your behind off. -6, probably wearing your woolies instead.

If you’re actually measuring the air coming from the stove that’s probably true. Knowing this stove, I assumed the OP was going by the readout on top of the stove.

I use an IR thermometer to measure heat output, measured on the grill on the front. An IR hastto measure a solid surface won't measure air.

If you’re actually measuring the air coming from the stove that’s probably true. Knowing this stove, I assumed the OP was going by the readout on top of the stove.
Where is the temp probe at? Mine don't have that but then mine is a manual light 15 year+ old unit.

Hmmm, I've just got through a really good cleaning about a couple of hours ago, and still the same thing, burning hot but the temperature is never going above 72, but you have me thinking that maybe the total batch of the pellets or some of them are bad, but it was only 10 bags that I bought, not a pallet thank God.. but if that's the case why was it burning at 80 just a couple of days ago and from the same batch ? This is baffling me. IDK...

Can you tell us what a really good cleaning means to you? For some people, that means pulling the burn pot and dumping the ash pan; for others, it means cleaning every hidden crevice, pulling the baffles, taking out and cleaning the convection and combustion blowers, brushing and blowing the vent stack, etc.

Knowing what a good cleaning is to you will help pin that down.

I run MHWP out of Holland, Michigan. TSC sells them ($212 a pallet )and been using them for a couple years now. Of course it don't matter much to me, I just use pellets with my field corn to keep the clinkers under control. One pallet lasts me an entire heating season.

I think I'd be having a look at the distribution (room air) blower. Haver you cleaned it and oiled the bearings lately, or ever? Sounds to me like a blower issue.
The distribution air blower ? No I haven't cleaned it, at least to my knowledge. I will definitely look into that because I'm not sure where it's located, I have find it on the diagram. Thank you so much, and BTW sorry for the late reply, I need to synch this forum up to my email because I missing too many replies

The distribution air blower ? No I haven't cleaned it, at least to my knowledge. I will definitely look into that because I'm not sure where it's located, I have find it on the diagram. Thank you so much, and BTW sorry for the late reply, I need to synch this forum up to my email because I missing too many replies

The distribution air blower is on the right side of the stove behind the panel. Opposite side from the exhaust. Make sure it spins freely and quietly.

However if that is not turning as it should, the stove would be running too hot and eventually might trip the overheat switch.

The distribution air blower is on the right side of the stove behind the panel. Opposite side from the exhaust. Make sure it spins freely and quietly.

However if that is not turning as it should, the stove would be running too hot and eventually might trip the overheat switch.
Sorry for my late reply and thank you for the info on the distribution blower, definitely good to know about,
Luckily, I believe the problem is solved, and you happened to be right the first time. After that batch of pellets we're done, a day later it started to get back to normal and heating up the right way. It was the second batch of the season that was bad, just like you said, and this past weekend it reached up to 85 degrees and was burning hot and clean. I know in the past I've had an issue with a bad bag here and there, but not with 10 of them... that's why I was so baffled with the situation. I actually should've returned them to h.d. but it's no big deal.
I just wanted to update you and thank you for all of the information you provided me, and looks like this thread has helped others as well. I will definitely be on this forum more often.
Thank you and have a happy Thanksgiving !!

Reactions: Ssyko and tlc1976
Thank you and you too. Glad it was something simple, but it’s always good to have learned some things for if you have issues later.

99% of what you read on here that is posted, comes from experience and experience is the best teacher, especially when you don't have to experience yourself. Like when I tell posters about cleaning and maintaining the various motors, fans and venting. I'm not blowing smoke up anyone's posterior, when I post an answer, it all comes from personal experience and after 25 years of fiddling with biomass stoves, I've had a ton of experience and a lot of unhappy endings too.

I'm not saying everything I post you should do 100%, all I do is give guidelines so the pitfalls are less for others.

Reactions: Ssyko
Thank you and you too. Glad it was something simple, but it’s always good to have learned some things for if you have issues later.

Definitely always good to learn something, and I definitely need to learn it fast, because I have a whole house full of company and everything is going wrong again. Woke up this morning,was looking all over for my ash vac only to realize I left it outside for two days and I've never done that before, and it rained, lol but seems to be ok. Then I went to put on the pellet stove and got an error message of E2 so I cleaned out everything but I'm trying to find the location of the air switch and the other part you've mentioned and I'm going to clean those out too,because it comes on then stops,and flashes E2, any help would be great, going crazy over here, could have ran too hot I'm not sure, thank you

The vacuum switch(air) is the only thing in the back that has a rubber(silicone) hose going to it. Low/restricted air flow can also cause the error.Not sure what you call a good cleaning,checking intake and exhaust for obstructions(mice and birds), removing combustion blower and cleaning the passageways inside,removing the 2 heat exchanger covers and cleaning inside that chamber/passageways.