Vogelzang VG150

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Turning it into a woodworking shop, but it’s unheated, so for the sake of not freezing my tail off while I’m working, I want to use the wood stove.
The use of open combustion chambers in a wood shop is not allowed in some areas. You will have to check with your state though it is not in national code but is in many state codes. Which honestly i would rather see a wood stove in a garage than a wood shop. I see a lot more risk in a woodshop.

The use of open combustion chambers in a wood shop is not allowed in some areas. You will have to check with your state though it is not in national code but is in many state codes. Which honestly i would rather see a wood stove in a garage than a wood shop. I see a lot more risk in a woodshop.

The local regulations are a little murky, but I'm particularly disappointed that, in your view, a woodshop would be a worse application than a garage. I guess that dust is the issue there? Well, as an alternative, I do have an unused kerosene space heater I guess I could use. Would you consider that a bad idea? My little Jotul woodstove saved our lives for 5 winters in New Hampshire, being our only source of heat, so I'd love to put it to use again.

The local regulations are a little murky, but I'm particularly disappointed that, in your view, a woodshop would be a worse application than a garage. I guess that dust is the issue there? Well, as an alternative, I do have an unused kerosene space heater I guess I could use. Would you consider that a bad idea? My little Jotul woodstove saved our lives for 5 winters in New Hampshire, being our only source of heat, so I'd love to put it to use again.
Is the kerosene heater a sealed combustion chamber

I will certainly check with my insurance company (hadn't thought of that!) as well as the local building codes. Many thanks for your help and advice.