VT Castings Radiance questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a VC Radiance that I bought used and just installed, it uses direct vent and is a model RDV40, SN 2005. not sure if that SN corresponds to a year or what. I wasn't happy with how the flames looked so some investigating turned up a cracked burner assy. my local stove shop wasnt very helpful, so I found a whole new stove on CL and made an offer, then drove 3 Hrs to get it. I ended up coming home with 2 of them, just alike, both have good looking burners that look like the one I have but there are differences in the stoves that have me puzzled. the 2 I brought home use B vent, and don't even appear to have a big enough opening for direct vent pipe. one has swing out doors ( mine does not) and the other doesn't. none of the 3 I now own actually have a " coal bed" pictured in the parts manual, the parts manual does not list a burner assy. my logs look to be in acceptable shape, but they aren't the logs pictured in the manual. if anyone could offer some insight here as to what I have and the importance of a "coal bed" and can the logs lay directly on the burner? that's how they all seem to be. my local stove shop seems to be staffed with warm bodies, and the older gentleman who also sold VC stoves locally has retired.
thanks, any input is appreciated, I will include a picture of my stove and model nameplate, the other 2 are still on the truck wrapped up due to driving home in the rain