VW TDI (Green Diesel Technology)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Audi A4 with the 1,9 Liter TDI ( 130hp ) engine in it- I have approx. 60,000 miles on it- and get around 45-50 mpg regularly- doing some local, and some long distance. I have service done once a year according to manufacturer specs, and it just loves to run. If I push it hard the mileage drops to around 40mpg- traffic permitting-

It has been a great car thus far- and would buy another TDi in a heartbeat- they are a great alternative to Hybrids- hands down-

good luck with yours!

Burn-1 said:
I've had three Passat TDIs, one 96 and two 97s. Those were great cars, plenty of room, and great mileage, ~42-44 mpg on winter fuel and close to 50 on summer fuel. I chipped and upgraded the clutch on my last 97 and it was fun to drive and still got close to 800 miles per tank. I would get another VW diesel in a heartbeat but we need the extra space for the kids and their friends and the Touareg TDI is still a bit out of my price range.

have you looked into a Jetta wagon ?

There's no backseat legroom in the Jetta wagon unless they have improved it in the new models. The Passat wagon was much better. Backseat legroom was one of the reasons we got a Prius. It's very good.

I've owned two VW diesels. One was an 80 something Rabbit and I now have an '02 Jetta TDI. Bought it in 04 with 23K miles. It now has 159K miles. I average 48-50 MPG year round no matter how I drive it with the lower numbers being in the winter. I've never had a fuel problem with either water or gelling and have never used an additive however I make sure to buy from places that turn their fuel often.

I've only used the dealer for warranty work primarily because they're expensive but also because there's some opinion that the VW dealer network does not have a high skill set when it comes to diesels. I've never had a problem starting it and the original battery lasted 7 years. Timing belts are important on these things. Since they are interference engines (valve / piston timing critical) it's important that someone who has experience with these motors work on them. Not sure about the newer models but starting in 03-04, the type of oil used is critical. The tdiclub is a great source of information. The cost to operate it so far including fuel and maintenance averages out to about 9.7 cents per mile. Auto transmissions have been problematic in the past after 100K miles. Not sure about the DSG.

One of the best things about the car are the engine characteristics. For a small engine they have a lot of torque which requires less shifting on the freeway in rush hour traffic. The car has gotten more stiff as time goes on and my 57 year old bones are not as happy as they used to be :).

All in all, I think you'll like it. Good luck.

Too bad there aren't more of these little diesels available here in the US. I'd like a 3/4 ton truck with a 200 hp / 300 ft/lb or so diesel. It would still have plenty of power and probably get twice the mileage of the current fuel hungry, over powered diesel light trucks now offered.

Got one here. Golf MK6 TDI DSG. I bought it because of the MPG, but now I love it because it's fun to drive. That BIG torque @ low rpm makes me feel like I'm on 4.0ltr V6 rather than 2.0ltr 4 cyl.

Due to the limited number of car in the U.S., not much choices/options you can choose. I ordered mine end of Nov 09, 3 months later my dealer told me they will refund deposit since they can't fulfill my order. But I want it anyway so at the end I've got different color/options instead.

BTW, VW diesel sales is expected to hit quota soon so the full tax rebate will end this June. Hurry up!!

Som.

So I picked it up this weekend. Holy crap does this thing have torque. If you don't look at the tach needled dropping at low rpm to the next gear, you wouldn't know it was a diesel

440 mile drive home with a heavy foot and got 40 mpg on an engine with 10 miles on it at the start of the trip.

And BG, 6 footers can sit in back behind 6 footers in front.

Status
Not open for further replies.