Wall behind Pellet Stove. HardiBacker or Durock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PelletNJUSA

Mar 5, 2022
USA
Hi all,

Behind pellet stove had sheetrock with brick vaneer. I needed to remove the wall, now rebuilding. Forgive me when I sound ignorant (Because I am, haha) but the choice of wall is either Hardi backerboard or Durock Cement Board. The question I have is, which is easier to work with and less messy. Also, can I put brick veneer on both if I take that route ? Also, are both considered to be fireproof. Behind this wall will be 2x4 studs, then 1 foot of space, then the block wall, then the exterior Masonry Chimney. In between is a thimble. Of course the install will be to manufacturer specifications on clearances but in general are both products considered fireproof and to code. I will be selling the house. The next homeowner may go with a different type of stove. I just want to be sure the wall at least works not matter what appliance is there. This is in the basement. Thank you.

Drywall is all that's needed for my installation as long as you maintain or exceed the minimum distance stated in the manual.

They will preform the same. How hot do you think your stove will get? I can put my hand anywhere on my stove except the door without getting burned.

Just as an aside, Durock is the Russian word for stupid.