Wall Clearances - Code vs Manufacturer Specs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

claython

May 27, 2021
NY USA
Hello, I have a Wiseway GW1949 Pellet Stove that is classified as a wood stove. The code specifies clearances of 36" (or reduced if with a heat shield) but the manufacturer's specs are significantly less stringent. E.g. according to the manual, the backwall clearance only needs to be 2" instead of 36". It would be quite favorable to go by the manufacturer's specifications in this case as this is being installed as backup heat in a tiny house in Upstate NY. My understanding is that if the stove is UL Listed I can go by the clearances specified by the manufacturer, but which UL standards does it need to comply with?

According to the manual:
"Your pellet stove has been approved for installation in the USA and Canada. It may also be installed in a manufactured or mobile home (for USA only) . Your stove conforms to UL 1482-11 (R2015), 2010, and Certified to ULC S627-00, and(UM) 84-HUD". Is this sufficient to go by the manufacturer's specs?

Hello, I have a Wiseway GW1949 Pellet Stove that is classified as a wood stove. The code specifies clearances of 36" (or reduced if with a heat shield) but the manufacturer's specs are significantly less stringent. E.g. according to the manual, the backwall clearance only needs to be 2" instead of 36". It would be quite favorable to go by the manufacturer's specifications in this case as this is being installed as backup heat in a tiny house in Upstate NY. My understanding is that if the stove is UL Listed I can go by the clearances specified by the manufacturer, but which UL standards does it need to comply with?

According to the manual:
"Your pellet stove has been approved for installation in the USA and Canada. It may also be installed in a manufactured or mobile home (for USA only) . Your stove conforms to UL 1482-11 (R2015), 2010, and Certified to ULC S627-00, and(UM) 84-HUD". Is this sufficient to go by the manufacturer's specs?
If it has a legible ul tag on the stove you go by those clearances. The 36" clearance is for an unlisted stove