Wall Protection for corner stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EasilyConfused

Jan 13, 2018
North Carolina
I am having a Lopi Republic 1250 installed in my cabin. It will be in the corner of the main area. I know I need to have a hearth pad to protect the floor from embers. The install manual, says nothing about wall protection, other than installing in an alcove. Other than that, it only shows the distance it must be from the wall at the corners, which is 10"

My question is this. Does anyone know if I need a wall heat shield surrounding the stove? I see photos everywhere online with just a plain wall behind the stove. I thought this was not permitted.

I am planning to tile the wall in the corner behind the stove, but I need to know, if I need to have an air channel behind it. Could someone please tell me if a heat shield is necessary? I do have cement board to mount the tile on. Just don't know if I can just secure it to the wall directly or not. Sure would be a lot easier.

As long as the installation meets or exceeds the listed clearance requirements no additional protection is needed. We have drywall behind our stove.

No wall protection needed if you following the minimum clearances stated in the manual