Wall Temps Behind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Whidbey Island

Nov 14, 2022
Whidbey Island WA
Sorry for a duplicate post. We just purchased a Heathstone Craftsbury with rear shield and blower. To my surprise after 8 hours of running the wall feels very hot. (I can place my palm on the wall for say 2 minutes) I placed a small flush thermometer on the wall for 15 minutes. Reading is 100 F. Feels pretty hot hottern than I expected.

Clearences are within specs but over time....

1) is the to hot?
2) over time will it make it more vulnerable to fire?

Thanks

Ken Rajesky is quoted in a wiki link describes how stoves are tested for clearances

The benchmark temperature, which determines safe clearances, is typically 115 degrees F over the ambient room temperature. In other words, if the ambient room temperature is 70F, the benchmark wall temperature cannot exceed 185F. If temperatures exceed 185F, the stove must be located further away from the wall. That is why movable walls on tracks are used. If the temperatures exceed 185F, the walls are moved back until the temperatures recorded are less than 185F. In a nutshell, the stove is run through the complete test, the temperatures are recorded, and safe clearances are established.

I don’t see how I could hold my hand on on a wall at that temp for two minutes. I think your are OK If your stove has the required clearance but a good purchase is an infrared thermometer, around 15 bucks, good for checking stove top temps as well. I would be more comfortable with a temp somewhat less than that UL maximum. I am happy with my Etekcity which has a laser pointer and has proved interesting and useful away from the the stove.

Sorry for a duplicate post. We just purchased a Heathstone Craftsbury with rear shield and blower. To my surprise after 8 hours of running the wall feels very hot. (I can place my palm on the wall for say 2 minutes) I placed a small flush thermometer on the wall for 15 minutes. Reading is 100 F. Feels pretty hot hottern than I expected.

Clearences are within specs but over time....

1) is the to hot?
2) over time will it make it more vulnerable to fire?

Thanks
Those temperatures are nothing to worry about. If you can hold your hand on it for 10 seconds it's ok. 160º and above is too hot.

Reactions: rpwalton
100 F is not that hot, less than 2 degrees hotter than your hand...
Right, but that’s not what I was looking to say. I was referring back to the 185 degrees in my quote. I also like the clear direct way that bgreen said it.

Reactions: rpwalton