Wall Thimble Extender

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

houset

Feb 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Here's a bit of history...

Last year we bought our pellet stove on clearance. So rather than installing it in February, we decided to re-stud our walls our using 2x4's and R13.. Now the existing wall had no insulation. It was just plaster / slats over top of a Cynder block wall (house was built in 1949). Since I really didn't feel like making a mess of things and ripping out all that plaster, we just took 4 inches off the room and built the new frame in front of the plaster walls. I am finally done with this headache of a project, and now ready to install the stove.

I purchased my Pellet Stove vent Kit from the home depot. It is the Simpson Duravent kit that comes with everything you need to install your stove with. The problem i am facing is that my new wall plus the old wall is about 14" in thickness. So the Wall Thimble that came with the stove is not long enough to reach from the outside to the inside. So my question is should I:

a) Leave the pipe in the middle open
b) Extend the thimble pipe with a Stove pipe and which kind?
c) another option??

Thanks
Todd

Extend it with the stove pipe to be in compliance, I would not be comfortable with the middle open. It is also recommended to extend it with like material, read that in a stove manual.

Thanks for the reply. i actually emailed Simpson, and here si the response i got in case anyone else was wondering..

-----

You are allowed to create an extension piece for the wall thimble tubes. Make the extension tube out of .018 galvanized material. Attach the extension tube to one side and allow it to slip over the mating tube. Make sure that the extension tube overlaps mating parts by at least 1 inch.

----

Status
Not open for further replies.