danthedewman1 Posted By danthedewman1, Mar 13, 2018 at 2:35 PM

1. danthedewman1

danthedewman1
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2018
    Loc:
    Missouri
    Hi..I need folks opinions on burning black walnut here in Missouri. I split it kind of small and stacked it on pallets. Im not worried about lots of ash, I can dump the tray...Any other thoughts on if walnut is good..I use a Jutol 500 stove. Thanks.

2. BIGChrisNH

BIGChrisNH
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 16, 2015
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    I've never burned any Walnut but I hear it's decent stuff. Starts easy and smells good.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Leroy
    about the same class or maybe a bit better, btu wise, than Silver maple

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Tar12

Tar12
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 9, 2016
    Loc:
    Indiana
    As it has been mentioned...it is not a high BTU wood but it will indeed make some BTUs! Don't expect long burn times...

5. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    It does smell good when burned. Splits easily. As mentioned also quickly.

6. Gibraltar IV

Gibraltar IV
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 16, 2015
    Loc:
    Missouri
    I harvest and burn some black walnut in mid- Missouri. it really does need at least 2 years of seasoning. If you do that, it’s pretty good firewood but won’t have the btu output of the oaks and hickory’s. Burns more like hackberry or maple. I like it in the shoulder seasons.

7. ohlongarm

ohlongarm
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 18, 2011
    Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Walnut is sweet smells awesome,decent heat output,and takes forever to go bad,an 18 inch walnut was laying in a swamp behind my house for 3 years,pulled it out split and cut and burned perfectly.

8. danthedewman1

danthedewman1
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2018
    Loc:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the answers all...So many different types of wood here in Missouri im still not sure what most are...I know white oak,cedar,sycamore, and that's about it...LOL..I live near Ava , Mo. but originally lived in Alaska for 41 years...There firewood was pretty simple..We burned Birch and Spruce.

9. FLINT

FLINT
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2008
    Loc:
    Western VA Mtns.
    I've burned walnut. its OK, and I wouldn't turn it down. probably about like red maple. better than silver I would say. definitely not in the same class as oak or hickory.

10. Longstreet

Longstreet
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Walnut is related to hickory and burns with similar characteristics.