Walnut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
Grabbed some big walnut off the side of the road. Haven't burned any in about 30 years! Split fine....but I forgot how bad it smelled!!
Probably beacuse I am just finishing up twocords of Black Cherry it just seemed bad!

Yes black walnut smells funky! I burn lots of it. Easy to split it is pretty good firewood.

I got a buddy I work with that says he smoked some deer meat with walnut. Swore it was great. I can't imagine it being that good based off the smell but ya never know. As far as firewood....not bad.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I got a buddy I work with that says he smoked some deer meat with walnut. Swore it was great. I can't imagine it being that good based off the smell but ya never know. As far as firewood....not bad.
I’d take cherry over walnut any day for smoking
It’d be a toss up for woodworking lol

I find the walnut to leave a lot of ash. I have a bunch that was bucked up before I realized that it would have been way better in log form! I did just stain my countertops with a walnut stain, and I am so glad I did :)

I’d take cherry over walnut any day for smoking
It’d be a toss up for woodworking lol

Yea I'll second that.... and if I had a good walnut log I would't be bucking it up personally....way too valuable. On a side note I saw a show the other day called "from the tailgate". They said that missouri accounts for roughly 65% of all native range walnut harvest every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: avsmusic1
Furniture or Firewood?

GYuO7JTl.jpg

Here is my brother lugging around a piece of black walnut at my house. My buddy down in Georgia makes furniture and he asked me to get him some black walnut, he said he could make a lot more money with black walnut than with oak. He said if I would cut him some black walnut he would come up here and get it. Black walnut doesn't grow in central Georgia.

So my brother and I cut down this tree, on my property. I have hundreds of trees just like this one; I own 48 acres.
And that was a year ago. The wood is still here. Evidently Gary's wife got mad at me and she won't let him come up here to get the wood.
I have two logs like this one. If Gary doesn't show up by next month, they are going into the wood stove.

Furniture or Firewood?

GYuO7JTl.jpg

Here is my brother lugging around a piece of black walnut at my house. My buddy down in Georgia makes furniture and he asked me to get him some black walnut, he said he could make a lot more money with black walnut than with oak. He said if I would cut him some black walnut he would come up here and get it. Black walnut doesn't grow in central Georgia.

So my brother and I cut down this tree, on my property. I have hundreds of trees just like this one; I own 48 acres.
And that was a year ago. The wood is still here. Evidently Gary's wife got mad at me and she won't let him come up here to get the wood.
I have two logs like this one. If Gary doesn't show up by next month, they are going into the wood stove.

How wide is that log?

Wait a minute you are going to make me give up my secrets.
This is a photographer's trick called "forced perspective."
Put the object close to the camera, using a wide angle lens, and it makes it look bigger. After all, my brother is 6-3.

The walnut log is 17 inch diameter.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
17" is a worthwhile saw log but it looks like there is a fair amount of sapwood on that
If there isn't 12"+ of heartwood I wouldn't feel bad about burning it

I just went out and measured it. The heart wood is 11 1/2 inches.
Brother and I whacked that tree for Gary a year ago.

s5KjzT0l.jpg

This is what happened to the black walnut I encountered last summer. This was a 24 inch diameter tree. It was growing in the meadow right on the creek bank. The roots got undercut and the tree just fell over. Not a speck of rot on this tree, and 95 feet high.
I got 3 Nissan truck loads from this tree last summer and will go get more in April.

Last edited:
I burned some black walnut scraps from a table build in a chimina (sp?) damn was that smoke black.
Can't imagine smoking meat in it. YUCK!!

Reactions: Grizzerbear
The hunks I got were already cut up. Not that many big walnuts up here.

I just went out and measured it. The heart wood is 11 1/2 inches.
Brother and I whacked that tree for Gary a year ago.

s5KjzT0l.jpg

This is what happened to the black walnut I encountered last summer. This was a 24 inch diameter tree. It was growing in the meadow right on the creek bank. The roots got undercut and the tree just fell over. Not a speck of rot on this tree, and 95 feet high.
I got 3 Nissan truck loads from this tree last summer and will go get more in April.

I'm not familiar with log grading....or much of anything with the logging industry for that matter... so I posted a link, but if I had as much walnut as you say I would seriously consider not bucking them up unless they are obviously scarred or have many low limbs. Not telling you what to do...just a consideration.