MagdalenaP Posted By MagdalenaP, Jan 3, 2019 at 7:43 PM

1. MagdalenaP

MagdalenaP
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 10, 2018
    Loc:
    Tilbury, ON
    Can I burn walnuts? I have a giant black walnut tree, tons of walnuts...if yes, how on earth am I supposed to stack them?! ;lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. weatherguy

weatherguy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2009
    Loc:
    Central Mass
    You can eat them too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Prof

Prof
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 18, 2011
    Loc:
    Western PA
    I have no idea how they would burn--would they pop like chestnuts? I'm curious now. As far as stacking good luck, but here is an idea:

5670c6ad655ee.jpg

Riddlefiddle and hickoryhoarder like this.
  4. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    You stack them in little pyramids
    Yes you can burn them but they are
    better eating and burn the shells
    I get 25$ a pound for clean nut
    but it is a lot of work

5. Agent

Agent
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 5, 2011
    Loc:
    Waupaca, Wi
    A lot of work is an understatement.

Luckily, if I provide sacks of hulled nuts, the father-in-law will spend all winter cracking them. Retirees, man!

wooduser and sloeffle like this.
  6. MagdalenaP

MagdalenaP
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 10, 2018
    Loc:
    Tilbury, ON
    So I can't throw em in the fire, full?

Slocum likes this.
  7. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    As long as they are dry YES

8. Easy Livin’ 3000

Easy Livin’ 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    SEPA
    Hadn't thought of this. We have tons of walnuts. There's lots of oil in the nut part to burn.

The hulls make a mess around here.

Throw a half gallon of dry ones in the stove and let us know what happens.

D8Chumley likes this.
  9. ct01r

ct01r
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 10, 2018
    Loc:
    Eastern Pa.
    I second that; but they have to be REALLY dry. If they're green, or if you pile them up and they rot, they'll smoke like nobody's business. I've burned a bunch this year (about 5-6 wheelbarrows worth so far), and when they're dry they actually burn pretty well. They won't burn long, though, about an hour for 2 shovel loads. Curt

10. Rockey

Rockey
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 18, 2007
    Loc:
    SW Ohio
    Sounds like a good way to burn the coal bed down and still make good heat.

11. wooduser

wooduser
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 12, 2018
    Loc:
    seattle, wa
    I'm no Xpert on black walnuts, but it sounds like you should hull the nuts before burning them. Running over them with a car is reputed to be a good way to squeeze the nuts from the hulls.

Anyone care to ship me ten pounds of hulled black walnuts? Let me know what you'd like to be paid and I'll send you a check. Sounds like it would be a worthwhile experience.

I've put a "Wanted" post for ten pounds of black walnuts in the "Wanted" forum, so that would be a place for those inundated with black walnuts to reply!

12. Easy Livin’ 3000

Easy Livin’ 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    SEPA
    Just come on over, you can take all you want, no charge. We collect them off the lawn and dump them in a pile. You will need to remove the hulls, but that's no problem.

13. wooduser

wooduser
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 12, 2018
    Loc:
    seattle, wa

Thanks, but I'm in Seattle. If you'd like to run over some nuts to get rid of the hulls and ship them to me, I'd be glad to pay you for ten pounds or so, shipping costs too of course.. I've never had the pleasure of black walnuts, and I figure now's the time!

Perhaps you have children that might like to earn a few bucks?

Easy Livin’ 3000 likes this.
  14. firefighterjake

firefighterjake
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Do black walnuts taste like the English walnuts you buy in the stores?

Firewood Bandit likes this.
  15. Prof

Prof
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 18, 2011
    Loc:
    Western PA
    I find them to be similar, but with a sweeter and nuttier flavor. Kinda like squirrel tastes like chicken--it does, but it is different.

16. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    The English variety is not near as strong or bitter as Black Walnut IMO. The size is about the same though.

17. firefighterjake

firefighterjake
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    So most folks don't eat black walnuts due to the strong taste and bitterness?

18. Easy Livin’ 3000

Easy Livin’ 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    SEPA
    I don't eat them because of the little white worms, the shell is way thicker and harder, and the meat is more challenging to remove.

19. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 3, 2014
    Loc:
    Western WIsconsin

Black walnuts are much stronger tasting and if you get any shell in with the meats, it is like chewing on steel shot.

Easy Livin’ 3000 likes this.