Wanna talk chainsaws ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rumme

Dec 14, 2008
arkansas
I thought Id never do this, but I just sold my Husqvarna 345 gas chainsaw for $125 to local pawn shop.....and guess what I replaced it with :

A CRAFTSMAN 18 " 4 H.P ELECTRIC CHAINSAW.

This thing kicks major butt.....POSITIVES:

its light

no pull starting

no gas/oil mix to worry about

no carberutors to flood/ varnish up

quieter

only runs when you squeeze the trigger

no smoke

much simpler design , which means alot less can go wrong

NEGATIVES :

Needs a cord attached for 110 volt, which actually hasnt been a big deal for me, because most of my wood I cut, is cedar posts 8ft long, which I haul into my backyard, then cut .

Even if I had to cut down a tree on another property, I could easily take along a small has generator but I did just purcahse a Craftsman 16 " 33 c.c gas chainsaw as a backup, brand new/ closeout for $75 . I havent gotten it yet, so I dont know if it runs well .

I can honestly say that cutting up my wood with this electric chainsaw is much more enjoyable then with my old Husqvarna I sold.

One other thing, this elecvtric chainsaw is rated as a 4 H.P...15 amp....

well I put a wattmeter on it, and when it runs, without a load, it is operating at 2 H.P / 1500 watts....so I doubt it is a full 4 H.P...but, under a load, it may increase to about 3 H.P ...

either way, H.P ratings for electric motors, are usually more powerful then gas H.P ratings

from what Ive read, a 1 H.P electric motor, is almost equivalent to a 3 H.P gas motor.....

Oh, this electric alos has a auto chain oiler, and the oiler tank holds ALOT of oil.......no need to fill it up every 15 minutes with oil like my husky...

it also has a quick adjust chain tensioner....so no tools needed....

I give it a 10 out of 10....the only thing that would make it better, is if it performed like it does, with the same positive benefits, and did it all cordless...

Craftsman has always had an odd way of measuring the power produced by electric motors. I'm glad you're happy with it!

EatenByLimestone said:
Craftsman has always had an odd way of measuring the power produced by electric motors. I'm glad you're happy with it!

actually, I think many other manufacturers also have a habit of overating their equipment...

but it does produce 2 H.P under no load..so its possible at max load, it gets near 3-4 H.P...but then again..that would be damn near 3000 watts /
30 amps..which would trip most 110 volt breakers...

either way...it cut thru the cedar and oak , with no problems...

All tools have their place. If you can handle being tied to a cord then the electric one could make sense.

Sure wouldn't be my choice for clean-up after a major ice storm!

I am dumbfounded

mobetter said:

All tools have their place. If you can handle being tied to a cord then the electric one could make sense.

Sure wouldn't be my choice for clean-up after a major ice storm!

agreed...this is why I have cleared all trees on my property..so I dont have to worry about cleanup after a ice storm...

the wood that I cut, is always brought on my property vie cedar posts, or downed trees...so they are ready to be cut up for burning.....in the convenince of my own yard..clost to a recpetacle.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
I am dumbfounded

shouldnt be, have you ever used the chainsaw Im referecning ?

I find that many people who put down electric chainsaws { or other things in life } have never really owned them, or gave them a chance for a period of time..

the list of positives, seem to outwigeht the list of negatvies, for my uses.

I ahve a Husquvarna electric saw that I have used. havent used it in awhile but I used to to trim small branches off nearby trees, I got this well prior to my current saw. They are nice little units and you dont have to worry about treatign the engines or tuning. Never used one to buck firewood.

I am "dumbfounded" that you sold that saw to a pawn shop for $125! How old was it?!

I ahve a Husquvarna electric saw that I have used. havent used it in awhile but I used to to trim small branches off nearby trees, I got this well prior to my current saw. They are nice little units and you dont have to worry about treatign the engines or tuning. Never used one to buck firewood.

I am "dumbfounded" that you sold that saw to a pawn shop for $125! How old was it?!

it was about 18 months old...payed $ 270 shipped...its the 345 model....

the $125 I got from the pawn shop, was used to purchase this craftsman electirc and a 33c,.c crafstamn gas model...as backup...

you are suprised the pawn shop[ gabve me that much monmey for it ?

nope, didnt realize that a new one was only $270..

on the craftsman 18 " electric model, I read dozens of reveiws..and almsot all ofthe mwere postive..I think it also was awarded a consumer best buy...

I can only hope it has longetivity...and cuts this good for years to come...

oh..and I got it for $39 shipped..on clearout sale...I think at sears they are around $120 ..

I've used the Crafsman, which we bought to replace the Mac electric, which simply burned itself up.
The positive points mentioned are generally true, and that's why we replaced the old Mac; But...

...I don't recommend it, or any electric, as your ONLY saw. In side-by-side use, against the old Husky, the electric is noticably slower and weaker.

But, it is true that you can't beat an electric for a quick, short job in the backyard. No fuel mixing; carb gumming; noise, or notice by neighors. A bit lighter too.

Edit: Whoa...I didn't see that $39 post! Yes, I paid much more, some years ago.
Well, at that price, it's really worth having around, even as just a spare.

nope, didnt realize that a new one was only $270..

yes..alot fog people seem to hear the name HUSQVARNA..and immediately think price range of $300 an up...

even on ebay, used Husqvarnas go for alot of money...IMHO....

ive seen used modesl sell for around $200...whewn you can get thatsame model new, for $290 shipped...

doesnt make sense to me

I like using my little electric Remington that came with the pole saw for smaller stuff, for the reasons you mentioned.
Of course, I also enjoy tackling the larger stuff with the appropriate devices too.

granpajohn said:
I've used the Crafsman, which we bought to replace the Mac electric, which simply burned itself up.
The positive points mentioned are generally true, and that's why we replaced the old Mac; But...

...I don't recommend it, or any electric, as your ONLY saw. In side-by-side use, against the old Husky, the electric is noticably slower and weaker.

But, it is true that you can't beat an electric for a quick, short job in the backyard. No fuel mixing; carb gumming; noise, or notice by neighors. A bit lighter too.

I assure you, this electric is noticebaly faster then my oldHusky...cause the old Husky wouldnt run right..LOL...

but I knwo what you are saying...I dont mind if it takes 3 extar seconds to cut a 14" round log wiht my electric....because the positives arew worth it IMHO....its much lighter, less messy...and not as loud.....

and then of course, one must add in the time used up by the electric, to refill it with gas...and start it...

my elctric is instant on...and isntant off..inbetween each cut....and no need to refill the gas every 10 minutes...

gotta weigh all these things IMHO.....

and for me, the elctric has been a improvement ...

I have a 16amp Makita UC4000, based on recs here. For some work, it's great, I have a 10gauge 100ft extension cord and have used it to trim my father's apple tree, even buck up a 24" maple. Slower than my gas Husky 359 but a bit simpler. The Makita even has a chain brake.

It is nice for the occasional use, rather than having to mix up gas/oil and the risk of ethanol and low-use equipment..

Jay

Gomez said:
I like using my little electric Remington that came with the pole saw for smaller stuff, for the reasons you mentioned.
Of course, I also enjoy tackling the larger stuff with the appropriate devices too.

I did buy a new craftsman 33cc gas chainsaw...as a backup....it was only $75....and has a 16" chain...reveiws on this model were hit and miss...some loved it, some sad it was junk...

for $75 ..new with a case..I took a shot...

certainly a better chance then another Husky for $275 ...that might perform as badly as my last one..

Jay H said:
I have a 16amp Makita UC4000, based on recs here. For some work, it's great, I have a 10gauge 100ft extension cord and have used it to trim my father's apple tree, even buck up a 24" maple. Slower than my gas Husky 359 but a bit simpler. The Makita even has a chain brake.

It is nice for the occasional use, rather than having to mix up gas/oil and the risk of ethanol and low-use equipment..

Jay

well , I plan on using my quite regulary to cutup most of the 20" logs that fit in my woodstove....and that wood is usually ash/ cedar or oak...

I estimate I will be cutting about 5- 6 riks per winter with it...so I will see if it holds up...If I can get 5 years out of it...ill be very happy...and would buy another one to replace it..

Jay H said:

Jay

im curous..you say yours is rate 16 amps...

have you ever put a meter on it..and seen if it actually is 16 amps ?

many homes use 15 amp -110 volt breakers....so if it is pulling 16 a,mps, it would trip many breakers..

"Hey Kids! There is a downed tree around the corner, probably close to a cord of oak. Go round up all of your mothers extension cords, and go ask the neighbors if they have any we can borrow. Try and dry the rain off your hands, and step away from that puddle when you plug them together Jr. Free wood here we come!"

dsil said:
"Hey Kids! There is a downed tree around the corner, probably close to a cord of oak. Go round up all of your mothers extension cords, and go ask the neighbors if they have any we can borrow. Try and dry the rain off your hands, and step away from that puddle when you plug them together Jr. Free wood here we come!"

LMAO

That was funny.

Just for the record, I have a small remington electric, but its stayed in the shed for a while :)

dsil said:

yep, this is the exact scenario I go thru to get my wood..

howd ya know ?

rubber boots, and they can even cut wood in the local pond....

Status
Not open for further replies.