Wanted a 18" bar - Dolmar dealer only has 20" in stock, should I take the 20 or order an 18?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detector$

Dec 16, 2007
NC
I'm getting ready to buy a Dolmar 5100S (although I'm curious about the Jonsered). Don't think I'd really ever need anything much bigger than an 18" bar. My local dealer only orders saws with 20" or bigger bars. Should I just take the 20 or have him order an 18"

I've always used 16 inch bars on my 65cc saw but sometimes I think a 20 would save me some bending of my back. How does the balance feel with the 20 inch bar?

To be honest I was surprised how heavy the saw felt in hand....although it did seem weighted more towards the rear of the saw. This is one of the lighter saws on paper.

I would order the 18", if I were getting the saw. According to the Dolmar website, they list the 16" and 18" as "standard" size bars, and the 20" as "optional"... If you look at the standard that some folks like of about 3cc of engine per inch of bar, 1 16" bar would want 48cc and an 18" would want 54cc - at 50.4cc the 5100 splits the difference, and given that it's a pro-saw should have no problem with the larger bar... OTOH, that standard would suggest that a 20" bar calls for a 60cc saw. The 5100 is a great saw by all that I've heard, but I don't see how overbarring it would help it perform... (OTOH a 20" bar on a 7900 goes through logs like a Ginsu knife goes through tomatoes on the TV infomercials...)

Gooserider

I agree with gooserider, the length of bar should be determined by the cc's of the saw. I hate it when people say "I have a chain saw with a 20" bar". Well that don't tell me squat. Now if the person says "I have a 52cc saw that has a 20" bar on it". Well that tells me something. It's kind of like the Poulan and Crapsman ads that say they have a saw with an 18" bar for $159.99. Try to find the cc's of the engine. Usually they sell the biggest bar that the saw can handle.

That being said, I would go with the 20". As LLigetfa said, it will be easier on your back, but watch that tip. JMHO

My vote would be the 18" bar. Less bar, less chain, less oiling, less pull on the saw....all good things in my opinion. So far I've only come up against 2 trees where I needed more than 18" of bar. And those were some big darn trees....

I have a 5100 with a 18 and 7900 with a 24 on them. I use the 5100 with the 18 for 99% of all my cutting. Its the best saw I have ever used and I sold my stihls when I bought my dolmars. I am not a pro or close, I know what feels good to me and the 5100 is the best feeling saw I have ever used.

Shipper

myself I would use the 16in. bar

One other factor that I haven't seen mentioned, is how this saw fits in with any other saws in your collection...

Will this be your ONLY saw? If so, take a look at the typical wood that you cut, and go for the bar that fits it - however you should also consider the "two bar plan" as a way of handling those embarrassing moments when you get your saw stuck... As a "two bar" plan, I'd get a 16-18" bar for your primary use bar, and a 20" (or possibly even longer w/ a skip chain) for use on the occasional bigger log, or as the "emergency unsticker" bar. (This is basically what I do w/ my 7900, 20" for normal cutting, and a 28" for the big stuff)

Do you have a bigger "felling saw" and plan to use this as your limbing saw? If so, go with the 16 or 18" bars - the shorter bar will cut better and be lighter, but will make you bend over more...

Do you have a smaller limbing saw, and plan to use this as your felling and blocking saw? In that case you'd probably want the 18" bar - possibly the 20", but I would look at getting skip chains if using the 20"

Gooserider

I agree that your saw "collection" might make a big difference.

Both of my saws have 20" bars, the 290 handles the 20" great, 20" is probably too much for the 270 - BUT, with 1 size bar and chain, I have replacement parts on hand, don't have to stock 2 size chains, having 1 or 2 extra chains means I can use them on both saws.

Gooserider said:
One other factor that I haven't seen mentioned, is how this saw fits in with any other saws in your collection...

Will this be your ONLY saw? If so, take a look at the typical wood that you cut, and go for the bar that fits it - however you should also consider the "two bar plan" as a way of handling those embarrassing moments when you get your saw stuck... As a "two bar" plan, I'd get a 16-18" bar for your primary use bar, and a 20" (or possibly even longer w/ a skip chain) for use on the occasional bigger log, or as the "emergency unsticker" bar. (This is basically what I do w/ my 7900, 20" for normal cutting, and a 28" for the big stuff)

Do you have a bigger "felling saw" and plan to use this as your limbing saw? If so, go with the 16 or 18" bars - the shorter bar will cut better and be lighter, but will make you bend over more...

Do you have a smaller limbing saw, and plan to use this as your felling and blocking saw? In that case you'd probably want the 18" bar - possibly the 20", but I would look at getting skip chains if using the 20"

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.