Warmer weather, had to shut down the big stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Well, after almost a month of relative cold weather (20's F at night) and little to no precip, the worm has turned.

Yesterday the weather turned really wet and windy (normal for this season) and now the temps are in the 50's.

Got up this morning, walked into the family room and WHOA, 75F in the house.

Flipped the off switch on the Big Whit and headed over to the Living room and fired up the little whit.

Just way too warm for the large stove. Been shoveling two 5 gallon pails of shells a day through the big boy since last month.

The little one can do the job fine with this warm weather.

I prefer the house to be around 69-70 not 75 plus.

This will give me a good opportunity to clean the big stove well.

Been doing a "Hot cleaning" every week and keeping the beast on line.

Letting it cool off completely now and then later today it will get a good cleaning out.

Glad to see the warmer weather, as this will really save on the fuel useage.

Snowy

See if you had a stat on that there stove? You would have woke to the normal temp in the house! ;-) just kidding snowy!

I think we are just getting into it here, New week is supposed to be a bit cooler. But I can't complain. My stove has yet to burn a bag a day this season. But with my stat the house is just the way we like it! :cheese:

Gee I could have sent you some WoodFibers pellets. Then you could have kept that pretty flame going but wouldn't have to worry about over heating the house...LOL

Attachments

• WFI up LBTU.bmp
    794.6 KB · Views: 339
it was freakishly warm here last night. 52f or so today.
it's cooling off fast though.
i'm idling the stove on low to preserve the head start i have on the house temp.
the g/f is baking and cooking tamale pie too. so there is a lot of bonus heat at the moment.

i still haven't gotten to the point that i recognize the sound of big slabs of snow sliding off the roof when it happens.
takes me a sec. i'm like "wtf is that?"

Well as usual, my distaste for the computer controlled stuff got in the way.

I don't mind shutting down one stove and starting another.

While the big stove was cool, I took the time to tear the baffles out, clean it well and SUCK the vent pipe out with the leaf blower.

Until the temps drop back down into the mid 40's F we will probably run the little tiny whitfield prodigy 2

Everyone here scoffed and snickered at the little whit, but its perfect for the warmer weather, when you need some heat but not a lot.

It does not eat as much either.

Snowy

Must be nice, enjoy the warmth Snowy, had a high of 28 today. We can't complain its been a good winter so far, first time snow has stayed and there is only a 1/2".

Normally during December we get around 6" of rain.
The first three weeks saw barely 1/4 inch, plus many days with low clouds and freezing temps all day, but no precip.

Normally we don't see that sort of weather over any length of time.

We can see bitter cold when we get the arctic express come through.

So now its pretty much business as usual with RAIN by the bucket load and wind too.

We are about 25 miles south of Portland near Newberg and our place is along a range of hills that are about 1250 Ft Elevation.

Snow is always a possible from Nov to Mar
I have seen 10" flop down in the second week of March, but it does not last more than a day.

The warm shot now will help with the shell usage for sure.

Snowy

I figured at 209 a ton 4.18 per bag on low, thats 1.6666 pounds per hour ( 24 hr burn time, 40 pounds ) is only 17.47893 cents per hour continously running to heat 2200sqft comfortbly at 68-73 when its been in the 20's at night and 30's daytime. My cats love the fresh air from the side door windows being opened to cool the house down when it gets to hot. I say spend some cash and insulate the floors and attic better and replace old drafty single pane windows as money allows. I am setting up to go to r-60 in attic and floor this summer. if I wasnt so stupid I would lower the 21ft high cathedral ceiling to a normal hieght and remove the 3 4x6 skylights. then I could have an additional 1300sqft upstairs.

:) Hi Snowy been trying to catch up with you after reading your article on your schematic would you have the exact model # of 644 and the 646 units as my stove very similiar to yours. This would be a great help in ordering the units. Also I reside just outside of salem. If your interested we could exchange e-mail addresses. I'm and electrian also.

Here are the numbere for the timers

The 644B one shot is 644B-G5R OPT "R" .3 to 30 minute 120v AC

The 646B cycle timer 646B-P15RO OPT "R" on .1 to 5 seconds off .1 to 10 seconds
120v AC

The one shot has spades to connect the momentary start switch. The time on adjustment pot in on the timer.

The 646 cycle timer has the on time adjustment pot on the timer plus 2 spades to connect the off time remote mounted pot (Heat range/auger off time.

The normal factory timer settings are approx 20 minutes on the one shot, but you can fool with this some. The main issue is to be sure that the low temp switch is locked in before the one shot shuts off.

The cycle timer is nominal at 1.5 to 2 seconds of auger on time followed by 7 seconds off for the Low or 1 setting //// 5 seconds off for the number 2 setting //// 4 seconds off for the number 3 setting //// 2 seconds off for the 2 setting

These numbers are going to be close.

I rarely run our Advantage higher than the low setting, last night I fired the large whit back up as the weather has cooled off again.

I ran it on the 2 setting for about an hour to warm things up good.

The only time I have ever run the thing on the 5 setting was to quickly get fuel through the auger after the initial total clean out when the stove was first purchased. (used stove)

The adjustable Pot that can be purchased from Precision timer co. is a variable and does not have individual "stops" or "Clicks"

You will have to time the thing and mark your panel accordingly.

Having the option of a variable scale on the adjustment will allow you to get things right in the sweet spot.

Actually I thought about just setting mine up with 2 heat settings, like 7 seconds off time for the low and a 4-5 seconds off for a high with a fast feed button that would allow the auger to be run continuous with a momentary button, just to refill the auger in the even the stove was run dry.

Lots of options to choose from.

Let me know if you have other ??????

Snowy

Thanks snowy for the info I will soon be ordering the timers somebody on this forum made the comment that there is a min order of $250 any comment on the order amount required. Also on the latching relay did you have certain brand or type that you prefer. Have tried to call precision timer company a few times but they appear to be kind of hard to reach. You have nice welcoming in of the new year and I will you in form of my progress with the Brickwell P-24I

I did not have that issue with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.