warranty on used Englander stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I have a chance to buy a slightly used Englander 13 stove for $450 (Burned a couple times). Does anyone know if their warranty is transferable? If not, am I better off buying new?

bsa0021 said:
I have a chance to buy a slightly used Englander 13 stove for $450 (Burned a couple times). Does anyone know if their warranty is transferable? If not, am I better off buying new?

unfortunately the warranty is not transferrable. that said if the unit is in good shape physically it should last well beyond the 5 yr warranty period. we have next to no claims on firebox warranty for that stove

bsa0021 said:

I think thats too much for a used 13. I have one that I used a year, I tried selling it for $350 and didnt get any takers. I think they are like $700 new maybe less. Go buy a new one with a warranty

With a new one (this year) you will also get the 30% rebate on stove, liner, and install, back off your taxes. So 30% off of 700 would make the new stove alone only like $500.

tickbitty said:
With a new one (this year) you will also get the 30% rebate on stove, liner, and install, back off your taxes. So 30% off of 700 would make the new stove alone only like $500.
This is to replace my VC so I have the liner and I will be doing the install since it will be a relatively simple swap.
If this is the same stove I looked at in the spring, it looked like it was burned once or twice as he claimed. I was planning on offering $300 or $350 which is cheap for an Englander in this condition (or so I thought). Even with the rebate I would be at $500. Just can't decide. At what price would this be a good deal?

For me, I would think that if you could get it for 350 even, that would be a good deal, that makes it half the price of new (before tax refund) not too bad then! 450 just kinda puts it up into the other range.

I'm not sure if I can get a tax refund this year since I purchased another stove w/refund last year. Unless it'up to $1500 each year.

Unless you spent five grand on that other stove you have some tax credit working room left.

Same amount tax credit offered 2009 and 2010. Isn't it up to $1500 each year? I think it is - we got our stove in just under the wire for 2009 so if we wanted to do something else this year it would still be available. (windows or insulation or whatever)

I used up $950 in 09 but I will be doing insulation before the end of this year so if it is $1500 total for both years, I may not have enough to include a stove. If the refund is for EACH year then a new stove might make more sense.

It is definitely $1,500 total for the two years. Go for the used stove if it is in good shape.

BrotherBart said:
It is definitely $1,500 total for the two years. Go for the used stove if it is in good shape.

I stand corrected, BBart, sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.