Was I a jerk? (ammusing in my eyes...) Craigslist wood ad response

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmopt

Oct 19, 2008
PA
So I'm new to burning, but already have my next years wood supply done (09/10), a grapple load delivered earlier this fall for 600. Anyways, I scan craigslist occasionally for free wood ads to add to the pile, and came across this one, not free, but close and I thought maybe I could bargain into what I consider reality: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/for/1008079212.html

So I email this without trying to sound like a jerk, but maybe i was?:
"I’m interested but would only take the wood in exchange for the labor of getting it off your land. If someone pays 35 in this type of weather they must REALLY need wood :) I have a large 4x4 and could possibly get to the wood depending on the location.

Sorry if you consider this a lowball offer, but most people I know will only take wood that isn’t cut in exchange for the work to move it."

---------------------------------------

The response back to me:
"Sounds like you don't need this and are well off. The logs can rot just as well."

My email back:
Hi XXXX

Interesting answer, and how would you assume I’m well off for asking for a lower price? That seems the opposite of just buying a load cut/chopped delivered.

I really did not mean to offend, but for about 70 cord (depending on truck size…) it’s not that much cheaper than the 150-225 a cord for firewood cut and chopped, but yours doesn’t include the effort/risk of hauling, cutting, and chopping.

I pay 600 for a grapple load delivered in log length, that equals 66.66 per cord, dropped off right in my yard. If you deliver a truck load I’ll pay you the same :)

Good day,
XXXX

Maybe my last email was a bit smug, but it sounded like he was being just as much or more of a jerk in his email back... Not sure where he got that I was "well off", maybe me think of saying "I'm Rich B____", like Dave Chappelle...

He wants money for drugs, beer, mortgage, whatever. He sees logs laying in his yard. He thinks he will get money for them so he puts up an ad on craigslist. If it weren't for wanting money he wouldn't have run the ad. His entire motivation is that money so he predictably doesn't want anything to do with a customer that won't give him any.

So his short answer was rude.

Some people think it's great as long as you do the work. A while back there was a guy who had somebody log his land he made pretty much the same offer @$35 a truck load. I offered him a per top price that was the going rate for all the tops . He said it would rot first and except for a few loads people took out it did rot. At the time $35 would buy a face cord while $40 would get it delivered. If they did the work $35 a load wouldn't be bad "pick up" type deal but why should we go through all the effort and expense when we save no money? I don't think you were a jerk you just ran into another of so many who don't know the rest of us have to make a buck work too!

Thanks for the responses. I thought it was amusing and also wasn't really surprised. It's amazing to me that people think their wood in log form is worth that kind of money. If it were later in the spring I'd consider it just for the work out and even pay about half that, but it's a bit cold to be doing anything besides normal chopping. (which i consider a great workout in this weather)

Am I reading this correctly - you get 70 cord delivered in log length for $600? If so, Can you please send me that guys contact info?

BTW - I do agree with you on the issue...

edit update......never mind... reading your post closer it looks like a type and you meant 7 cord...

BurnerMM said:
I pay 600 for a grapple load delivered in log length, that equals 66.66 per cord, dropped off right in my yard....
By my math, your grapple load is 9 cord.

LLigetfa said:
BurnerMM said:
I pay 600 for a grapple load delivered in log length, that equals 66.66 per cord, dropped off right in my yard....
he saying that it cost him 66.00 bucks a cord

smokinj said:
LLigetfa said:
BurnerMM said:
he saying that it cost him 66.00 bucks a cord

Correct for both posts above. I'm PM the information over, but it's a local mill, so I doubt they'd deliver up in NY.

I talked to a guy just today about a having some 8 footers delivered. (All hardwood) He wanted $275 per cord dropped at my house. That seemed quite high so I asked what he charged for a cord of splits delivered. $325, he says. I told him that $50 for my labor to cut and split the wood was a bit high (you think?!!) The $325 would be a better deal. (I was trying to make him realize that he was about twice as much as I wanted to pay). We agreed to disagree. We did agree, however, that his typical clientele didn't want to purchase unsplit wood. He told me that I was the first call he ever had looking for unsplit. Maybe he'll call back...

The seller's initial reply to you was on the rude side.

But $35 per truckload of red oak and cherry logs? Depends on how inaccessible those logs are I suppose but I consider that a smokin' hot deal.

If he had a grapple and would load it, I'd pay $35 for that since I know I can get a cord in the back of my PU... but I don't know about going into the woods and dragging it out for this much!

mayhem said:
The seller's initial reply to you was on the rude side.

But $35 per truckload of red oak and cherry logs? Depends on how inaccessible those logs are I suppose but I consider that a smokin' hot deal.

You should have seen the last response when I explained my rational... I decided to let it go, even though I was still being polite, not worth the time to explain or be an “internet ninja / cage fighter”…
If it was near the road I’d probably consider it, but from the ad it seemed like they were not accessible and you’d need a “cart” or wheelbarrow to get out.

While it’s not a bad deal in some ways, I consider it doing him a favor by doing the work to get it off his land. He said he has 3 people coming to get loads, so I suppose I’m fortunate to have an easier supply of wood that cost less for the effort involved.

I'm in the tree/landscape biz and run into this all the time. People don't want to pay to have wood hauled by me and post for people to come and get it. The dumb ones try to make a buck instead of just getting rid of it for FREE. Why would they pay when line clearance guys just leave it by the road. I really like those wonderful CL ads that people want a tree taken down for the wood. How stupid can you be. Your going to let anybody with a saw and half a brain to remove a tree in exchange for the wood. Now that's smart. It would probably look like the pic of the tree that cut the house in half on here.

You weren't rude this guy is looking to make money for doing nothing. Just another American with a piss poor work ethic. Seems to be running rampant if you ask me

Status
Not open for further replies.