Wasted heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Barry C

Oct 3, 2022
NYS
I have this rusted old Enviro vent stove, EF IIi. I have it set up in the shop and it produces very weak heat. The fire is fine, all blowers work, feed works, but the heat tubes do not produce as much heat as is coming out of the exhaust. The tube cleaner is recently unfrozen. Running for an hour, it is like a weak electric heater.
So the stove is in bad shape, rust etc. The damper is frozen open, is this why the heat is going out? I have not been able to free it so far.
Newbie to pellet stoves so go easy on me.

Do a complete teardown
Clean the stove from front to rear
Remove the combustion fan-motor assy free up the draft slider
Remove all firebox panels clean, clean and clean some more
Does the stove still have the ash/fire deflector at the top of the firebox
under the heat exchanger? If not buy one you need it to get max heat
Clean and scrap the heat exchanger so the slide cleaner works.
If that deflector plate is missing all the heat just goes out of the firebox
without going across the heat exchanger.
Here is a copy of the manual
If you are missing the deflector plate and can not find one PM me I have extra

Reactions: ABusWrench
OK, did most of that and got the damper moving. That was the big problem as it is heating well now. Very little heat venting out exhaust. Looking for a baffle now.