Watch out you guys out east

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont see any point to covering the wood, tarps will just fly away and the wood will dry by the time Im ready to burn it.

My thoughts as well.

KC

billb3 said:
I once lived on an island in Buzzards Bay
At least twice a year the moon tide would flood the back yard and street.
It was funny to watch little piles of snow floating down the street when it happened in the Winter.
Not so funny when the pile of wood in the back yard started floating around the neighborhood.
(stacks tend to stay put, been stacking ever since)

Done the clean the yard a hurricane is coming too many times.

I'd probably take the tarps in though.

indeed.

my nephew lives along the coast in NJ and one storm back in the mid-to-late-90's blew coconuts and palm branches ashore.

re: covering the woodpile -

only the primo coupla' cords i'll be bringing in the basement at thanksgiving will get covered.
i even get a bit compulsive and fire up the big stove in the basement to get it nice and dry down there before bringing the wood in.

to all in the potential storm path...
best wishes

OT

iskiatomic said:
I dont see any point to covering the wood, tarps will just fly away and the wood will dry by the time Im ready to burn it.

My thoughts as well.

KC

Agreed.

Instead, I sharpened the chains, tested the genny under max load, checked the stored fuel and oil, checked some batteries, checked some water barrels, checked the overnight work bag, etc...all ok.

Low chance for a real storm here but I'm ready.

My daughter is in the Navy at Norfolk and she was just told be ready to evacuate inland.

Fellas, for sure I did not mean to cover the wood where the high winds will be, but yet some folks may be able to cover if they have a good way of holding things in place. For sure also to pick up anything laying around as you don't want any to go flying like a missile.

I can also imagine there will be lots of boats pulled out of the water and air force jets flying to a different airport etc.

BrotherBart said:
Yep. The current model tracks have the eye coming right over our house. Exactly the same track as the one in Sept. 2004 that spun down a tornado 18 feet from the corner of the the house and blew down 36 beautiful trees.

I ain't likin this.

Are you referring to Isabel? I think that was September 2003 because it was the second month I knew her and I was without electricity for a week. I had to stay at her place during the day so I could get work done. The trees that were down from Andrew was insane. I am looking for the silver lining in the cloud, no pun intended, and it will be the possibility of a lot of wood on the ground for the scrounging. If I can get to 10 cords before winter, I will be a pretty happy man. Now, if the hurriance rips the roof off the house, the only thing that will make me happy is if nobody is hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.