Water on Quadrafire Motherboard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smitdawg3

Jan 10, 2019
Massachsuetts
Hello -

We had a significant rainstorm here in Massachusetts and water came down the chimney, and onto the pellet stove. Water ended up hitting the motherboard. I saw sparks, I smelled something the smelled like burning electronics. My question - should I just replaced the motherboard, or do you think something else could have shorted due to this? I dont want to buy a MB if the thing is garbage. Any thoughts?

Where did you see the sparks? Inside the control box or where it plugs into the card slot? Well honestly if it shorted it probably damaged the board. take and open everything you can and put a fan on it to dry out. Pull the control box and take the box apart to air out( hair drier speeds this up). When everything is dry, reassemble everything and try it.

Reactions: johneh and Mt Bob
I saw the sparks near the bottom of the stove. So underneath the motherboard. I plugged it in yesterday and go nothing. I'll dissemble and see what is happening.

Reactions: Ssyko
Not sure,but isn't the power supply directly on the inserts bottom?If so,I would inspect that,first.
You correct. It is the power supply. Got back coming from the connections. Soot on the bottom of it. Stinks like it was burning.

I can probably just replace this right?

Probably rest of stove is OK,and it might even be repairable.I would post pics of where it burned,you might have to open the case.

What model is the stove?

Oh ouch not a good one to get wet

Reactions: Mt Bob
I pulled out the power supply. Soot on the connecting wires but the rest of the stove looks ok. The power supply I cracked open and it had a bunch of soot in there. I just bought a new power supply. No idea of the wires are still good.