Water seeping from under hearth.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Samuela91

Jul 18, 2021
Alexandra vic Australia
Hey all!
I have just installed a free standing wood heater in my house. It was installed on top of a pre made hearth. So the problem is that there is water Seeping from under the hearth onto the Floating floor boards. Thinking it’s just moisture coming out being it’s the first time it’s been lit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sometimes a little water does come out of the firebricks the first time a fire is lit. That's why it's good to do one or two small break-in fires, the first with just kindling. This helps dry out the bricks.

Also check to see if there is any dampness in the stove itself under the flue collar in case wind-driven rain water has entered the chimney.

If it is from under the hearth: is it on a concrete floor that is in contact with the ground? Is it condensation that is accumulating now that the insulated under-floor is gone from there?

Is the water clear? Does it have a very strong smoke smell? Are you sure water from burning wet wood isn’t seeping out of the stove, running down the leg of the stove and into your hearth?

This happens with my stove if unseasoned wood is burnt.