water well question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prairiefire

Dec 16, 2008
rural saskatchewan canada
would like some opinions or suggestions on this idea! we have a well on our property for or home water needs, the well is around 30 years old and is 110 feet deep. our water quality is not bad but a little hard (have softener). the well casing is 6" metal casing i am conscerned about it collapsing in the next few years due to metal casing rusting through, this has happened to a few nieghbors and they have had to drill new wells. my ? is can i run plastic 5" pipe inside the existing well casing and save myself the expense of drilling a new well? any suggestions,thanx
edit: mods please feel free to move this post if not in proper forum

Your solution sounds reasonable but I think the problem really comes down to one of well contamination rather than a structural problem. If your casing is really in that bad of shape it may allow surface contaminants such as fecal coliforms and other pathogens to make their way into your water.

I'd consult a driller to see whether its more cost effective to try to re-case your existing well or to drill a new one. If you drill a new one your existing one should be filled from top to bottom to prevent contamination of your water supply, your aquifer.

Good luck.

How is the water line run into the well casing? If you have a pitless adapter going in from the side below the frost line, it will prevent you from putting down the liner unless you are willing to dig it up and remove/reinstall it.

thanx guys. i know this wouldn't be a perfect solution and i may not do it but it kinda makes sense to me. no i don't have a pitless adapter the well head is about 8 feet below grade in a metal culvert. i don't really have a gauge on what condition the casing is in i was just going on age and other peoples similar wells. i do understand what you are saying about contaminates, i think the job needs more research. i will talk to some local drillers and get opinions. i just thought if it was doable i would tackle it this summer rather than have something go wrong in the winter and trying to fix it when it's -45. i will let you know how i make out. thanx again :)

Does the casing rot at ground level or below grade. I am in the well drilling industry and this is not very common. Well casing is fairly thick and does not rot very quickly,unless you have a dog that takes a leak on it regularly.

i am assuming it rots below grade and either starts to crumble in or allow contaminates and dirt to fall into the well. it is around 30 years old. i can only see down into the casing about ten feet to where the water line is. it does look kinda rusty. i don't know if it will collapse or not just thought if there was anything i could do to avoid it i would. i'll quiz the neighbor about his well collapsing next time i see him and see if he has any insight . never seen the dogs peeing on it but i wouldn't put it past them! :)

My well and casing is at least 60 years old.

The pump and tank resevoir is down in the hole where they originally started hand digging for water.

I still have the hand pump that was used before it was electrified around here somewhere. Unfortunately not all of it. Just the hand pupm part that was bolted to the concrete roof of the well at ground level.

Pook is right on this one - I would also agree that your first step should be to talk to a driller about getting a professional inspection and evaluation of just what your current condition is, and what is needed in the way of maintainance / repairs.... Just because your neighbor is having a problem doesn't mean you will as well...

Gooserider

60 year old well and no issues here. Neighbor has an 80 year old well and other then pumps he is still chugging along. Must be a soil ph thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.