WE ARE!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuneighty

Burning Hunk
Oct 11, 2012
SC PA
Penn State is now 3x Big ten champs and sitting pretty for 3x national! Spend the day clearing the yard of kiln dried and cooking this....

156078_10200114927814267_125209833_n.jpg

IMG_20130310_194506.jpg

IMG_20130310_201558.jpg

Ribs, Pork butt and a tired pup ...

I bought a pork butt to smoke this week, thanks for reminding me why I do it, those pics are a nice reminder of the fruits of my labor!

Reactions: Tuneighty
Did the ribs 3 2 1 style, and they turned out great. Pork butt was on for 12.5 hours and will be finished off in the morning for potluck at work. I cut a cherry stub a few weeks back just for this occasion and it worked out well combined with the apple on hand. Time to get the saw in the orchards though because you can NEVER have too much apple laying around.

Do you brine?
I brined a few times before smoking but now I just make a dry rub and refrigerate it overnight. It seems weird to some but I slather the meat with yellow mustard first so the rub has something to stick to and since it's vinegar based it does a good job. My sister gags at even the smell of mustard and didn't believe that it was the base of my rub since by the time it's all smoked, the mustard taste is gone.

I leave my brining to my thanksgiving turkey, that I just cook in the oven but it's a whiskey based brine, love it!

Speaking of Whiskey, I have some Jack Daniels smoking chips I can't wait to try. They chip up JD barrels and sell them as chips, they smell amazing,

Jeni - me too. I don't coat it heavy, just a light slather for the "glue". Undetectable in the finished product. I also save the brining for the turkey and sometimes a pork loin. Works good on chicky too.

Reactions: Hearth Mistress
Status
Not open for further replies.