We had the Aurora Borealis in our stove last night!! First burn report--

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeGreen said:
Houston, we have a lift off...

So how's it heating that big space? What are the outside/inside temps?

Well, I really can't tell just yet. Our current OS temp is low 40s, IS is approaching 80! I had to go put on my cut-offs. We've been living at 57-64 all year so far, so this is good. The A/C blower is on and I've ordered all space heaters shut-down. Just got a report that the stove temp is just under 600 (Todd's gonna shoot me for sure!) I'm trying to see how well the heat gets distributed to the far reaches of the house. I'll report when I know something more concrete.

Texas boy said:
Well, I really can't tell just yet. Our current OS temp is low 40s, IS is approaching 80!

:cheese:

Sounds like it is working just as it should. I do have to reprimand you on the lack of break in burns though. I hope the stove survives. I will not soon forget the first time we saw the Aurora Borealis. It is awesome! I love watching the fire in my fireview too.

Flatbedford said:
Sounds like it is working just as it should. I do have to reprimand you on the lack of break in burns though. I hope the stove survives. I will not soon forget the first time we saw the Aurora Borealis. It is awesome! I love watching the fire in my fireview too.

Y'know, now that I think about it, the manual doesn't say anything about a break-in procedure. It does talk about seasoning the stove, but I don't remember anything about a series of smaller fires, although, I have to admit that Todd did send me a sequence, which I promptly forgot about once the stove was on the deck and plumbed. I built the little fire in the photo and then just kept adding a few more sticks of wood as those were used.

How will I know if I've damaged the stove? Will something show that I can see? I sure hope I haven't that would be a pain.

I think the concern is that you should allow the moisture to get out of the stone and cement slowly. I have no idea what will happen to you. maybe nothing. Do you know when your stove was built? It has had some time for moisture to escape since then. Being in that low moisture area you live probably helped a lot before you even started the fire. They seem to be a well made quality product, so maybe you will be just fine.

When I visited Woodstock to pick out my stove, I asked them about the break-in procedure. The manual, as Texas Boy points out, is a little weak in describing the break-in procedure. WS told me not to be too worried about it, I just need to cure the cement a little slow. Otherwise they said the break in procedure was no big deal.

Sounds like you got it right. It will get even better as you learn the finer points of burning this stove over the next year or two.

As I mentioned in another post somewhere, I read the manual several times before I ever got the stove and several times after, while waiting for things to get done that I could not do. From my viewpoint, the manual was way too un-tecchnical, un-detailed or whatever term you'd like to use. I'm a dedicated manual reader and was somewhat disappointed that the manual was so thin and had so little real detail.

SO, I did some calculations regarding the approximate thermal mass and made a guess at the differential heating coefficents of the iron and stone and decided that rather than cycle the stove through heat-up and a complete cool-down several times, I would very slowly heat and cool the stove twice over a 48 hour period, never allowing it to go completely to cold, but bringing it up and letting the temp reduce slowly to around 200 then heating it up again. My reasoning is/was that this would allow the components to shrink and swell and allow the stone to adjust within the iron without chancing that the stone would bind and shatter going to high heat or complete cool down. I was encouraged to only hear a lot of very quiet expansion and contraction ticking at a constant rate--no quiet periods and then loud ticking. So, since I had regular expansion happening, I brought the stove up to about 350 or so, engaged the cat and kept it there for about 6 hours. We then went to bed and let it burn. Next morning it was just at 200, so I laid on a few sticks and brought it back up to around 350 engaged the cat and told Lynda to do the same and leave the cat on before she left for work at 1000. When I got home at 1600, it was just above 200, so I slowly brought it back up to about 400, engaged the cat at around 300 and held it there for three hours. Then we put in a little less than half a load which took it to about 650 for two hours. After that we let it burn all night and have let it cool to room temp yesterday afternoon 'cause I had some chimney cap work to do. Contraction ticking was nice and even and quiet.

Right now it's completely cold. I'm not exactly sure what procedure I'll follow from this point. I'm planning to clean it out, inspect it carefully (as y'all suggest) and, if all is well, probably bring it up to cat temp (~300 to 400) for several hours and see how it does. I'll probably decide from there, unless you gurus have a good plan. Otherwise, I'll be playing it by "ear", "flying by the seat of my pants" or whatever other metaphor you prefer. :)

So, there's my actual reasoning and procedure, for whatever it's worth. That's all from here for now.

I'd say that at this point, you should just let her rip and have a warm house.

Sounds like your good to go, just watch those temps and experiment with different sized loads. Be carefull with that 80 year old super dry wood .

Todd said:
Sounds like your good to go, just watch those temps and experiment with different sized loads. Be carefull with that 80 year old super dry wood .

Does that mean as long as it's in the cat range, we're okay? Or should I keep it below a certain temp for a while?

Texas boy said:
Todd said:

Does that mean as long as it's in the cat range, we're okay? Or should I keep it below a certain temp for a while?

I think you are beyond all that. Just don't melt the thing down! Keep it under the redline on the provided thermometer and enjoy the warmth!

Texas boy said:
As I mentioned in another post somewhere, I read the manual several times before I ever got the stove and several times after, while waiting for things to get done that I could not do. From my viewpoint, the manual was way too un-tecchnical, un-detailed or whatever term you'd like to use. I'm a dedicated manual reader and was somewhat disappointed that the manual was so thin and had so little real detail.

SO, I did some calculations regarding the approximate thermal mass and made a guess at the differential heating coefficents of the iron and stone and decided that rather than cycle the stove through heat-up and a complete cool-down several times, I would very slowly heat and cool the stove twice over a 48 hour period, never allowing it to go completely to cold, but bringing it up and letting the temp reduce slowly to around 200 then heating it up again. My reasoning is/was that this would allow the components to shrink and swell and allow the stone to adjust within the iron without chancing that the stone would bind and shatter going to high heat or complete cool down. I was encouraged to only hear a lot of very quiet expansion and contraction ticking at a constant rate--no quiet periods and then loud ticking. So, since I had regular expansion happening, I brought the stove up to about 350 or so, engaged the cat and kept it there for about 6 hours. We then went to bed and let it burn. Next morning it was just at 200, so I laid on a few sticks and brought it back up to around 350 engaged the cat and told Lynda to do the same and leave the cat on before she left for work at 1000. When I got home at 1600, it was just above 200, so I slowly brought it back up to about 400, engaged the cat at around 300 and held it there for three hours. Then we put in a little less than half a load which took it to about 650 for two hours. After that we let it burn all night and have let it cool to room temp yesterday afternoon 'cause I had some chimney cap work to do. Contraction ticking was nice and even and quiet.

Right now it's completely cold. I'm not exactly sure what procedure I'll follow from this point. I'm planning to clean it out, inspect it carefully (as y'all suggest) and, if all is well, probably bring it up to cat temp (~300 to 400) for several hours and see how it does. I'll probably decide from there, unless you gurus have a good plan. Otherwise, I'll be playing it by "ear", "flying by the seat of my pants" or whatever other metaphor you prefer. :)

So, there's my actual reasoning and procedure, for whatever it's worth. That's all from here for now.

Are you waiting for 350 stovetop temp to engage the cat? We engage at 250 stovetop which is around 500 internal firebox temp. If I engaged at 350 stovetop my fuel would be all gone! Darn that must be some good wood you have!!

Texas boy said:
Todd said:
Shame on you Tex! I'll come down there and give you 10 lashings if you cracked any of those stones on your 1st burn! >:-( Let that sucker cool off completely before you burn it again. Did you see it sweat any moisture at all? Well at least you know your wood is going to work out just fine.

Yeah, I know it, Todd, and I'm hanging my head in shame for 10 seconds. It did give off some moisture, in steam format.

I DID bring it up really slowly, but once it started to burn, this alien force took over and whispered in my ear, "Just a few more small pieces! Just one or two larger ones, that's right, just put 'em in there slow like and you'll have HEAT!" Well, I admit, I listened. Once I snapped out of it, I thought, "UH-OH, the H.COM brain trust isn't gonna like this!" It's still goin'--a little more than 24 hours now and the smell is gone, but it hasn't been above 500 again. I just loaded it and put it back in cat mode at 325 F. for the night. I'll let it burn out and cool down after this load, promise. :red:

Had to laugh a this. The same demons have possessed me! I started a break-in fire in my Woodstock Keystone the second week of November, and it hasn't been out since. Maybe my stove will finish its break-in cycle in March or April when it does its first cool down.

Flatbedford said:
Texas boy said:
Todd said:

I think you are beyond all that. Just don't melt the thing down! Keep it under the redline on the provided thermometer and enjoy the warmth!

That makes sense! Now all I'm waiting on is some decent cold weather! These low 30s at night and upper 60s during the day are NOT what I want.

fire_man said:
Texas boy said:

Are you waiting for 350 stovetop temp to engage the cat? We engage at 250 stovetop which is around 500 internal firebox temp. If I engaged at 350 stovetop my fuel would be all gone! Darn that must be some good wood you have!!

Actually, no, I'm not waiting. I'm messing with it to see how best to control the temp. I didn't want the temp to get too high during these early burns. The wood is very dense/hard, even though it is cedar and it takes a while for all of the pieces to get fully involved if there's more than three 5" logs in there. I just didn't want the thing to get out of hand, which it can in a heartbeat if you don't pay attention. I've had four 4-5" 22" logs last five hours in an open FP, if that tells you anything! I'm sure we will start flipping it over to cat at about 275 under normal operating conditions. At least that's the plan. We'll go to cat when all the wood looks fully involved. I really like the Aurora!! It appears they look different when you engage at different temps. Not sure yet, but that's what it looks like.

Below the equator, they may go in the opposite direction!

Then again... maybe not.

i put a montpelier insert this year and too was told about breakin fires, but the manual says that you can get right up to a nice burn on your first fire as long as it is gradual..............burn baby burn!!!!!!!!!!

My break-in fire was just a long low-temp burn for several hours; then ramped up to "regular" operating temp. It did evolve some water at first. No bad consequences. What the value is in letting it cool off and restarting again later is not clear to me. My opinion might be different if I had heated it too quickly and broke something.

Status
Not open for further replies.