We had the Aurora Borealis in our stove last night!! First burn report--

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was asking for pictures, albeit in a rather facetious Internet meme way.

We believe that you had a beautiful fire going...but if we saw a picture then we'd really believe you :lol:

weatherguy said:
We believe that you had a beautiful fire going...but if we saw a picture then we'd really believe you :lol:

Actually there were two fires--one down in/on the wood and another, the one that looked like the Aurora, up at the top. Must have been 8 or 10 inches of "darkness" between the two, and, like the Aurora, it came (85%) and went (10-15%) while the lower fire was constant. I laid on my back on the floor so I could see the top fire. It was mostly blue and very gossamer in nature. Is this top fire "normal"? Did I do something wrong? The bottom fire was more yellow, but not the bright yellow like a fireplace. It was a lazy kind of see-through yellow. The temp went right on up to just over 500 and stayed there for about 2 hours. Hope I didn't screw this up!

I'll post photos when at home. I tried taking photos of this Aurora type fire, but it would not show on the photo.

Pagey said:

And here I was thinking Pook had returned . . . or at the very least Pook was being channeled through you. :)

firefighterjake said:
Pagey said:

And here I was thinking Pook had returned . . . or at the very least Pook was being channeled through you. :)

No one can handle Pook save Pook himself, I dare say!

Actually there were two fires—one down in/on the wood and another, the one that looked like the Aurora, up at the top. Must have been 8 or 10 inches of “darkness” between the two, and, like the Aurora, it came (85%) and went (10-15%) while the lower fire was constant. I laid on my back on the floor so I could see the top fire. It was mostly blue and very gossamer in nature. Is this top fire “normal”? Did I do something wrong? The bottom fire was more yellow, but not the bright yellow like a fireplace. It was a lazy kind of see-through yellow. The temp went right on up to just over 500 and stayed there for about 2 hours. Hope I didn’t screw this up!

I’ll post photos when at home. I tried taking photos of this Aurora type fire, but it would not show on the photo.

Sounds like you did everyhting perfect, those are secondaries burning up top, they're beautiful, are'nt they?

Yep, the mezmerizing burn that is known as "the secondaries". Its what we strive for in burn quality! good wood, good stove, good fire, GREAT heat. (less emmissions)

I've found that the flash on a camera easily overpowers the more "delicate" secondary combustion flames. Try turning the flash off to see what you can capture. And I think with a cat stove, those secondaries will trend towards the "ghost" type as opposed to the oft reported "bowels of hell" type on a non-cat stove. :lol:

In any event, it sounds like you did everything right. Secondary combustion is what you're going for.

weatherguy said:
Actually there were two fires—one down in/on the wood and another, the one that looked like the Aurora, up at the top. Must have been 8 or 10 inches of “darkness” between the two, and, like the Aurora, it came (85%) and went (10-15%) while the lower fire was constant. I laid on my back on the floor so I could see the top fire. It was mostly blue and very gossamer in nature. Is this top fire “normal”? Did I do something wrong? The bottom fire was more yellow, but not the bright yellow like a fireplace. It was a lazy kind of see-through yellow. The temp went right on up to just over 500 and stayed there for about 2 hours. Hope I didn’t screw this up!

I’ll post photos when at home. I tried taking photos of this Aurora type fire, but it would not show on the photo.

Sounds like you did everyhting perfect, those are secondaries burning up top, they're beautiful, are'nt they?

Is THAT what that was? I've burned wood for many years, but this is the first stove I've had that I could see very well inside, so I was not prepared for the POOF! and all the "watery" flame rolling around in the top. So, that's good, huh? I lit the fire at 1815 last night and was preparing to let it burn out and then do another one later like Todd told me, but I ended up putting a little bit more wood in . . . and then some more. I had about four pieces in there when I shut it down for the night. This morning I stuck another piece in and it caught. So, the stove has not cooled off since I put the first burn into it.

Pagey said:
I've found that the flash on a camera easily overpowers the more "delicate" secondary combustion flames. Try turning the flash off to see what you can capture. And I think with a cat stove, those secondaries will trend towards the "ghost" type as opposed to the oft reported "bowels of hell" type on a non-cat stove. :lol:

In any event, it sounds like you did everything right. Secondary combustion is what you're going for.

Did turn the flash off, but didn't help. It must be that certain wavelengths don't get picked up by the camera. I don't know for sure, but there must have been 20 shots taken and not one came out.

Texas boy said:
Pagey said:

Did turn the flash off, but didn't help. It must be that certain wavelengths don't get picked up by the camera. I don't know for sure, but there must have been 20 shots taken and not one came out.

Well, at the very least you tried. Sounds like another quality Woodstock product out in the field! Enjoy that stove. They're works of art.

Welcome to the club, cowboy. :)

Pagey said:
Texas boy said:
Pagey said:

Well, at the very least you tried. Sounds like another quality Woodstock product out in the field! Enjoy that stove. They're works of art.

I'll have to agree with that! And HEAVY!! It took me and one other guy to get it from the trailer and into the house. Then we had to lift that sucker off the pallet. THEN we had to move it to the fireplace! I gave him the light end (the one with the loading door in it). I even took off the top and the loading door and it was still heavy! I'm wondering if anyone really knows how heavy a Fireview is?

Heavier than a spoonful of a neutron star. And that's rather heavy.

So your "break-in" fire was at 500 degrees with ripping secondaries? We're still waiting for pics.

I get my stove and Texas Boy gets his 2 weeks later. He is runnin his and I'm STILL staring at a crate in my dining room, a crate on my deck, and a #@#$@$broken hand >:-( Hopefully I'll have pics in 4-6 weeks. Way to go Texas boy I can't wait!

Shame on you Tex! I'll come down there and give you 10 lashings if you cracked any of those stones on your 1st burn! >:-( Let that sucker cool off completely before you burn it again. Did you see it sweat any moisture at all? Well at least you know your wood is going to work out just fine.

Houston, we have a lift off...

So how's it heating that big space? What are the outside/inside temps?

You sure that wasn't the Aurora Australis that you saw ?

especially if you had to get Down Under to see it :lol:

Todd said:
Shame on you Tex! I'll come down there and give you 10 lashings if you cracked any of those stones on your 1st burn! >:-( Let that sucker cool off completely before you burn it again. Did you see it sweat any moisture at all? Well at least you know your wood is going to work out just fine.

Yeah, I know it, Todd, and I'm hanging my head in shame for 10 seconds. It did give off some moisture, in steam format.

I DID bring it up really slowly, but once it started to burn, this alien force took over and whispered in my ear, "Just a few more small pieces! Just one or two larger ones, that's right, just put 'em in there slow like and you'll have HEAT!" Well, I admit, I listened. Once I snapped out of it, I thought, "UH-OH, the H.COM brain trust isn't gonna like this!" It's still goin'--a little more than 24 hours now and the smell is gone, but it hasn't been above 500 again. I just loaded it and put it back in cat mode at 325 F. for the night. I'll let it burn out and cool down after this load, promise. :red:

carinya said:
You sure that wasn't the Aurora Australis that you saw ?

especially if you had to get Down Under to see it :lol:

Well, you DO have a point, mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.