Weak spot in liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
IMG_1085.JPG This is not a pic of liner in chimney but a sample piece I have. As you can see there are some dents and scratches. One dent has a tiny pinhole. Hypothetically if someone installed this and used for wood stove I understand that would be an area that could be a weak spot. I am wondering if this sort of denting /scratching/ defect would be a problem if overfiring was not occurring. For example, would this area likely get worse over time and then potentially cause smoke leakage?

As long as it is not coming apart at the seams, a small pinhole would most likely seal up with soot.
That said, I would not use it. When it come to wood burning, always overkill, never shortcut. Too much at stake.

Thanks for the replies, again not to worry, thus will not be installed into anything, it's just scrap. Just looking for thoughts on the issue.

That is an issue with a number if installations, especially when you are trying to install a liner into a flue that is to tight. Sometimes you don't have a lot of choices, but bholler is correct when he mentions using a heavywall liner. The Pre-insulated liners are beginning to be be used more, and they have the insulation and an outer metal shield.
Maybe removing the clay tiles would be a better option, before trying to squeeze the lightweight liner through, there's no real way of checking unless you are going to pay for a camera inspection.

Reactions: bholler