weekend score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cityhick

Hearth Supporter
Aug 2, 2010
N W Ohio
All logs are three ft long ash except for one elm tree that was cut into three ft lengths....I cut them to three ft to make it easier to handle and haul in my six ft bed then cut them in half and splt now that I got them home. One more load to haul in the morning. weekend haul.jpg

Reactions: raybonz
cityhick -

for me that would definitely qualify as a score. great work and a good plan with 3ft lengths. hard to tell from the photo but was that 3 loads in your truck? i make it out to about 1 to 1-1/2 cords. somethin' like that you think?

my wife and i went over to the logging yard today and got about 17-18 good sized rounds loaded up. mostly sugar maple and white oak. that white oak was #$%^&ing heavy. when she's there to help (um...she's a crankin' fit 47 year old yoga teacher who is also my rock climbing pal. she also does kettlebell training and deadlifts) we tip the rounds onto a cookie about 8-10" high and then do a quick hoist onto the tailgate. its a quick power-clean and when we're in synch it almost feels effortless. we have a great system but i gotta confess i'm hyper vigilant having her around those big rounds all piled up in a huge heap.

when i don't have help i noodle the rounds in half or quarter.

i'll get some pics posted soon.

OT

Good call on the "three loads"...hauled two friday after work and one saturday morning. Caught up on some chores around the house on sunday. Hopefully the rest will fit on load number four.

Nice score.
Looks pretty dry already, once split & stacked it should be ready to burn this season.

Not sure I follow cutting them 3' then cutting then in half when you get home.
To me, it's easier to cut to length off the longer logs than cut 3 footers in half. Lighter weight rounds to handle too.

Still , all in all, a nice score. Looks like solid wood & will be fun to split :)

Thanks for a good idea, Mike. That 3' log cuts in half to 18 inchers which is the ideal split for our stove. I will use that in the future most certainly. Nice score and good pics.

The three footers for hauling is just for a time saver. I would spend more time between hauling in loads if i were to make twice as many cuts. Cut them to a size I can handle amd get them on the truck. I can cut them to log length at home when time is on my side. Another reason is they stach nice and it looks better than a pile of rounds just sitting there waiting to ne split.

The three footers for hauling is just for a time saver. I would spend more time between hauling in loads if i were to make twice as many cuts. Cut them to a size I can handle amd get them on the truck. I can cut them to log length at home when time is on my side. Another reason is they stach nice and it looks better than a pile of rounds just sitting there waiting to ne split.

That makes sense. I wish my back would let me do things like that. No benefits to getting old I guess.
Sure makes a pretty stack & more stable too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.