weird burning plastic smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kgzapte

Nov 10, 2019
Latvia
Hello!
I'm having a little problem with my stove. Maybe you guys can help me.
It sometimes has burning plastic smoke smell and I can't figure out from where it's coming from.
There is no visible smoke coming from it.
I'm burning softwoods and some hard woods
I connected it myself, so could it be that I did something wrong?
So what do you think?

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 260
It looks way too close to the wall

it does look a little too close to the wall,,, myself personally have done way worse things and it worked out for me... could it be the paint burning off the pipes?... they look kinda new to me in the pic...... those paper stickers the store puts on them really stink too....

Yea, that's way too close. Needs to be more than double that distance away from walls with what appears to be no heat shields.

If its new its burning they always smell like that, if not could be the pipes.

Thank for your ideas!
Yeah, it is a bit too close, but that can't be reason. Because, it also smells at the beginning of the fire, when the wall is not even hot.
Also the pipes are about a year old.
I just read that you shouldn't start the fire with paper.
I usually use some old books and cardboard, so maybe its the fumes from those?

A bit too close is a serious understatement. It is much too close to the walls for safe operation. Unless there is tested documentation with the stove to the contrary, it needs to be 36" from any combustible.

Ok, will fix that.
One option would be to shield the walls with proper NFPA 211 wall shields. That would reduce the clearance requirement to 12".

About the smell, was any silicone sealant used on the stove connector pipe? Did anything plastic accidentally touch the stove? Years ago we had this complaint by a poster. He finally found that his kids had lost a toy soldier behind the rear heat shield when playing on the stove in the summer.

About the smell, was any silicone sealant used on the stove connector pipe? Did anything plastic accidentally touch the stove? Years ago we had this complaint by a poster. He finally found that his kids had lost a toy soldier behind the rear heat shield when playing on the stove in the summer.
Nop, no plastics near the stove, also no silicon sealants used.

Kids do the darnedest things the little scamps ☺️

Reactions: moresnow