Well I tried.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmule

Feeling the Heat
Feb 9, 2011
Conifer Colorado
I have a new neighbor that has moved up to the hills to take his shot at the rural life. Over the last couple of weeks we have talked about snow removal, heating with wood and my most favorite subject chainsaws.
Without recommending a specific brand of saw. I let him know that a 50cc saw with a 16' 18" bar would be the best sized saw for gathering firewood in a lodge pole treed forest.

I guess he will learn the hard way that his 32 cc saw with a 16" bar will be way under powered at our altitude of 8,500 feet.

Haha a poulan? I saw some at lowest yesterday when looking around!

That's all you can do.... You can bring the horse to water but you can't make him drink....

My busy has a semi landscaping biz. He likes stihl stuff. Told me he has a Ms 150. I was like I didn't know they made um that small!! I'd like to get ahold of it to trim my bushes and roses! Haha!!

That should say my buddy. Stupid phone virtual keyboard.

That should say my buddy. Stupid phone virtual keyboard.
I hear ya, I got smacked down a few times for mis spelling huskee and Harman..... Like it was my fault...lol

Ive got an ol' 36cc, 16 inch Craftsman that has served me well for many years without a problem.....a little slower than my Stihl Farmboss (not a tree killer by any stretch of the imagination), but that little Craftsman never gives up:cool:

My busy has a semi landscaping biz. He likes stihl stuff. Told me he has a Ms 150. I was like I didn't know they made um that small!! I'd like to get ahold of it to trim my bushes and roses! Haha!!

I have been thinking about the 150 for some time. It's a really great little saw for light work. It weighs around 6 pounds, which is great for light work on trimming branches and cleaning up small diameter stuff. You won't wear out your back as much. I wouldn't want to own solely a 150, but it would be a great addition for the collection. :) They are $450, so I don't think it will be added anytime soon. :(

I have a new neighbor that has moved up to the hills to take his shot at the rural life. Over the last couple of weeks we have talked about snow removal, heating with wood and my most favorite subject chainsaws.
Without recommending a specific brand of saw. I let him know that a 50cc saw with a 16' 18" bar would be the best sized saw for gathering firewood in a lodge pole treed forest.

I guess he will learn the hard way that his 32 cc saw with a 16" bar will be way under powered at our altitude of 8,500 feet.

At least he didn't spend too much on his saw that he can't get another one. Have him try one of your saws on the same cut and he'll be convinced. I watched a neighbor take down a pine in his yard with an electric saw. Each cut took several minutes. I didn't have my saws at home that day or I could have done it for him in a lot less time.

I have been thinking about the 150 for some time. It's a really great little saw for light work. It weighs around 6 pounds, which is great for light work on trimming branches and cleaning up small diameter stuff. You won't wear out your back as much. I wouldn't want to own solely a 150, but it would be a great addition for the collection. :) They are $450, so I don't think it will be added anytime soon. :(
What!! Is it a top handle climbing saw?? I heard folks here talk about the 250 being $300, why pay that foe a tiny one?

Some of those electric saws are not bad. His must have been dull? . My wifes parents had a "tree guy" take down some trees. His "climbing saw" was an electric saw. It really wasent that slao for the size it was.

At least he didn't spend too much on his saw that he can't get another one. Have him try one of your saws on the same cut and he'll be convinced. I watched a neighbor take down a pine in his yard with an electric saw. Each cut took several minutes. I didn't have my saws at home that day or I could have done it for him in a lot less time.
I have a craftsman electric,the biggest they sell,cuts pretty fast. I was surprised. Of course it not as fast as my sons stihl. but its easier to start ;lol

I have a craftsman electric,the biggest they sell,cuts pretty fast. I was surprised. Of course it not as fast as my sons stihl. but its easier to start ;lol

You got that right. Effortless starting. The neighbors seemed to go through a decent amount of oil. That's ok I guess. At least it wasn't seizing up.

You got that right. Effortless starting. The neighbors seemed to go through a decent amount of oil. That's ok I guess. At least it wasn't seizing up.
Yeah and it tends to leak out when your not using the saw too,i have an old shirt wrapped around the saw in between uses.

Oh its a pro saw, no wonder why its so much. I have no idea why the guy I know bought a pro. Saw?? He trims yard trees bushes, and cuts down tiny things about once a month with it?

Oh its a pro saw, no wonder why its so much. I have no idea why the guy I know bought a pro. Saw?? He trims yard trees bushes, and cuts down tiny things about once a month with it?

If that's what he has, he should have many trouble free years of service. :)

Heck any stihl homeowner saw would last my buddy a lifetime!! He doesn't cur wood other than down limbs or cutting down bushes. I bet he buys a new chain or has it pro sharpened once a year! Maybe a few times if he gets into something?? Just a guess though.

Hopefully you can't hear the neighbors saw from your place. Listening to the labor of each cut would be excruciating for me. I'd sooner cut all the wood he needs than sit and listen to the ignorance.

Super flyweight top-handle pruning saw. Makes a 192T feel heavy.

What!! Is it a top handle climbing saw?? I heard folks here talk about the 250 being $300, why pay that foe a tiny one?

Small doesn't mean cheap. Weight and handling matters to guys in harnesses and buckets. Especially when you make thousands of pruning cuts in a day.

Hopefully you can't hear the neighbors saw from your place. Listening to the labor of each cut would be excruciating for me. I'd sooner cut all the wood he needs than sit and listen to the ignorance.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/why-buy-a-pro-saw.112426/

Status
Not open for further replies.