**RANT** Stupid new move in.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

owingsia

Aug 12, 2013
Saluda VA
So today isnt horribly windy about 15-20 MPH because of the storm off the coast..... we have a guy who moved in down the road... (rural area) Anyway I am out checking on things and hear a chainsaw running. Thinking I have a neighbor with a downed tree (thinking... ok we have had a few wind gusts it might be possible) I get in the truck to go help... I get down the road and see the new guy... cutting down a huge pine tree that is probably.. 75 high swaying with the wind.... again not that windy however not exactly the kind of wind I would want to be cutting down trees let alone something that big.

I go up to see if he needs help... "just taking down this tree for some firewood!" We talk about the size of the tree and the wind... he tells me he is a woodsman and knows what he is doing....

no felling cut... just gonna cut strait through and let it fall.... not to mention he is cutting into the wind.. (Wind is from the north and he is cutting the tree on the south side saying it leans north) because the tree leans into the wind..... tried to explain wind and what it does to a tree....

tree is 30+ inches at the base..... I leave because I cant watch this and dont want to be part of it.

he comes over 30 min later wanting to borrow my saw. I ask him if he is going to limb the tree because I use a 16 inc bar. he said he just wanted to use it to cut his saw out because the dang tree wants to fall the wrong way.... (Wind)

I decide to go and look not wanting to help because I now how dangerous this situation is. we get there and the tree is down now his saw is..... under it and well... he no longer has a saw. he is mad as can be at the tree.

anyway my saw cant handle this tree and he asks "Why the #$%* would anyone buy a saw that small!?!"

Because if I cant cut it with my saw its to big for me to handle and I dont want it!

anyway.... he wants to cut a pine down to burn this winter because pine seasons fast... I asked him if he wanted some of my hard wood (Trying to be neighborly) He asks how long has it been seasoned... I tell him 2.5-3 years..... he says "Na thats to dry, your gonna have a chimney fire with stuff that dry!"

Some people just refuse to learn. Instead of realizing that he has a good neighbor who is willing to help and offer him dry wood, he chose to be an ass. I guess you know how to proceed in the future.

Reactions: Lumber-Jack
You got yourself a humdinger of a neighbor there, I have a feeling this one will not be a good neighbor in the end.

Lol ... doesn't he saying go: first impressions are key?

I'd have whipped out my phone and said I'm gonna record this for ya :) You keep goin... Tosh.0 needs more videos :)

"Na thats to dry, your gonna have a chimney fire with stuff that dry!"
;lol
Is his name Ron...Mo Ron?

banging-head-on-the-wall-smiley-emoticon.gif

We had our first night in the fifties and I have heard chainsaws running around me all day. Getting that firewood ready.

Happens every year after the first chilly night.

Yup, been seein lil trailers full of wood goin by all day...early birds...::-) I bet 9 out of 10 of what I seen goin by are for this winter...wouldn't want a chimney fire from burning that too dry stuff ;lol
Take it home a cover it quick so it don't get all wet, everybody knows "wet" wood don't burn good :rolleyes:

we have a guy who moved in down the road...

Yea from your description sounds like the kind of guy I'd keep at a distance for my own sanity--and safety.

But I suppose close enough to see if the time comes when he can learn from you.

We had our first night in the fifties and I have heard chainsaws running around me all day. Getting that firewood ready.

Happens every year after the first chilly night.
The smart ones making sure they get a good head start :).

Reactions: barmstrong2
I can't say much. Me and them were all doing the same thing until I found this place ten years ago and got dry wood religion. Hell, I have dug dead stuff out from under the snow in March when I ran out and laid it by the stove for a day.

Me and them were all doing the same thing until I found this place ten years ago and got dry wood religion

EPA wants to clean up stoves emissions, they should mandate all new wood stove owners sign up here first!

Reactions: owingsia
Obviously your neighbor did not have a plan B. Maybe in his vast cutting career he has never pinched a bar before.

I sure would not ever go out into the woods with him for firewood cutting. Scary stuff.
Not even a face cut.

I am not skilled in the tree department, but this guy sounds like he might earn himself a Darwin Award.
For your sake (& sanity & safety), I hope he learns from this incident.

Last edited:
this guy sounds like he might earn himself Darwin Award
That is reserved for those who jam 2 saws in the same tree at the same time. ;em;em;em;em;em

I have to advise you that your new neighbour is a tool terrorist!:mad: Do not ever loan your tools, as you will never see them again in one piece...

And when he brings back the destroyed tool he will blame it on the quality of the tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.