**RANT** Stupid new move in.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...<snip>... I asked him if he wanted some of my hard wood (Trying to be neighborly) He asks how long has it been seasoned... I tell him 2.5-3 years..... he says "Na thats to dry, your gonna have a chimney fire with stuff that dry!"

Just tell him that you can use wood that's seasoned over 2 years if you soak it overnight in water (with a little Dawn detergent added as a wetting agent) using an orange Home Depot Homer bucket with the lid on. Just tell him to make sure the pieces aren't longer than the bucket, and he'll be juuuuust fiiiine!:cool:

(1) he tells me he is a woodsman and knows what he is doing....

(2) no felling cut...

(3) not to mention he is cutting into the wind...

(4) he comes over 30 min later wanting to borrow my saw.

(5) he no longer has a saw.

(6) he is mad as can be at the tree.

(7) he wants to cut a pine down to burn this winter because pine seasons fast.

(8) he says "Na thats to dry, your gonna have a chimney fire with stuff that dry!"

That's 8 strikes! This guy is out. :p

Reactions: DoubleB
I can't say much. Me and them were all doing the same thing until I found this place ten years ago and got dry wood religion. Hell, I have dug dead stuff out from under the snow in March when I ran out and laid it by the stove for a day.
So you've been doing it right for a decade or more :).

Reactions: BrotherBart
Maybe help the guy out,,, nahh better to come here and bust the guy up.
So today isnt horribly windy about 15-20 MPH because of the storm off the coast..... we have a guy who moved in down the road... (rural area) Anyway I am out checking on things and hear a chainsaw running. Thinking I have a neighbor with a downed tree (thinking... ok we have had a few wind gusts it might be possible) I get in the truck to go help... I get down the road and see the new guy... cutting down a huge pine tree that is probably.. 75 high swaying with the wind.... again not that windy however not exactly the kind of wind I would want to be cutting down trees let alone something that big.

I go up to see if he needs help... "just taking down this tree for some firewood!" We talk about the size of the tree and the wind... he tells me he is a woodsman and knows what he is doing....

no felling cut... just gonna cut strait through and let it fall.... not to mention he is cutting into the wind.. (Wind is from the north and he is cutting the tree on the south side saying it leans north) because the tree leans into the wind..... tried to explain wind and what it does to a tree....

tree is 30+ inches at the base..... I leave because I cant watch this and dont want to be part of it.

he comes over 30 min later wanting to borrow my saw. I ask him if he is going to limb the tree because I use a 16 inc bar. he said he just wanted to use it to cut his saw out because the dang tree wants to fall the wrong way.... (Wind)

I decide to go and look not wanting to help because I now how dangerous this situation is. we get there and the tree is down now his saw is..... under it and well... he no longer has a saw. he is mad as can be at the tree.

anyway my saw cant handle this tree and he asks "Why the #$%* would anyone buy a saw that small!?!"

Because if I cant cut it with my saw its to big for me to handle and I dont want it!

anyway.... he wants to cut a pine down to burn this winter because pine seasons fast... I asked him if he wanted some of my hard wood (Trying to be neighborly) He asks how long has it been seasoned... I tell him 2.5-3 years..... he says "Na thats to dry, your gonna have a chimney fire with stuff that dry!"

This neighbor has no idea how fortunate he is to have a neighbor like you.

Maybe help the guy out,,, nahh better to come here and bust the guy up.

This neighbor has no idea how fortunate he is to have a neighbor like you.

I tried, This morning he had a saw out and was cutting up that pine when he left. I told him I have a cord of pine that is about 14 months CSS its his if he wants it. My wife said he picked it up this morning. He was asking about the wood and telling her that old oak burns to hot and thats why people have chimney fires.... My wife has heard it all so she smiles and nods.... we have the neighbor now after 3 years still warns me about burning pine and that I will have a chimney fire....

Well anyway I hope he can make do with that full cord... He would not touch anything over 18 months.. keeps letting me know that it gets to hot and I will have issues.... I just smile and node.... I hope to bring him around but he is determined to do it the way his daddy did things.

I hope to bring him around but he is determined to do it the way his daddy did things.
I have a good friend that does things the way his dad did. He once told me, when I was cutting wood in September that would be seasoning for over a year, that I was cutting too soon and my wood would be too dry. I still help him cut wood, even though it's usually in June for the following burn season. At least he mostly burns alder, so the smoke pouring out of his chimney all winter smells nice.

The thing about a chimney fire. Is there has to be something in the chimney to burn. If you burn dry wood (less than 18%) and you keep your chimney swept. Them there is nothing to burn.

The thing about a chimney fire. Is there has to be something in the chimney to burn. If you burn dry wood (less than 18%) and you keep your chimney swept. Them there is nothing to burn.

Out here what happens is these people get oak or other wood that was cut in April- July and split in september... they call it seasoned and they burn that all the time starting October. Come Feb they run low on wood and we get very nasty cold in that month... they come to guys like me who have wood that is properly dry... they toss it in the stove with all the dampers fully opened because... hello how else do you burn wet wood.... the properly dry wood ignites and takes the stove to 600-900 degrees very quickly.... remember they are used to tossing in a couple splits and burning wide open to get 300 degrees out of the stove.... no to mention when they load up for an overnight burn they smolder it all night at around 150-200 degrees stove top....... so when the stove suddenly hits 500-600 degrees they are not sure what to do but are happy for the heat... usually at this point they get excited that the house is warming up and throw in more wood.... 700-900 they get worried (Some do others just say "look at that stove glow!").... one years (Sometimes years and years) of creosote ignites and no one out here is going to blame the operator instead they go to the one thing that changed...... dry wood... the wood must be to dry....

Folks like your neighbor keep folks like me in business . . . be sure to thank him for us. ;) :)

Out here what happens is these people get oak or other wood that was cut in April- July and split in september... they call it seasoned and they burn that all the time starting October. Come Feb they run low on wood and we get very nasty cold in that month... they come to guys like me who have wood that is properly dry... they toss it in the stove with all the dampers fully opened because... hello how else do you burn wet wood.... the properly dry wood ignites and takes the stove to 600-900 degrees very quickly.... remember they are used to tossing in a couple splits and burning wide open to get 300 degrees out of the stove.... no to mention when they load up for an overnight burn they smolder it all night at around 150-200 degrees stove top....... so when the stove suddenly hits 500-600 degrees they are not sure what to do but are happy for the heat... usually at this point they get excited that the house is warming up and throw in more wood.... 700-900 they get worried (Some do others just say "look at that stove glow!").... one years (Sometimes years and years) of creosote ignites and no one out here is going to blame the operator instead they go to the one thing that changed...... dry wood... the wood must be to dry....
You make a very good point there, I think you hit the nail on the head

Yup, been seein lil trailers full of wood goin by all day...early birds...::-) I bet 9 out of 10 of what I seen goin by are for this winter...wouldn't want a chimney fire from burning that too dry stuff ;lol
Take it home a cover it quick so it don't get all wet, everybody knows "wet" wood don't burn good :rolleyes:

Well I don't plan on cutting wood when it's a 100!

Everybody has to learn. I only got the dry wood religion 1 year ago. Because i found this site. And what yall said made sense. Ill be fighting marginal wood for acouple more winters. Before my oak stacks are dry enough. But i did learn and preach it to everyone. Not always with the best results.

Out here what happens is these people get oak or other wood that was cut in April- July and split in september... they call it seasoned and they burn that all the time starting October. Come Feb they run low on wood and we get very nasty cold in that month... they come to guys like me who have wood that is properly dry.seasoned pine. they toss it in the stove with all the dampers fully opened because... hello how else do you burn wet wood.... the properly dry wood seasoned Pine ignites and takes the stove to 600-900 degrees very quickly.... remember they are used to tossing in a couple splits and burning wide open to get 300 degrees out of the stove.... no to mention when they load up for an overnight burn they smolder it all night at around 150-200 degrees stove top....... so when the stove suddenly hits 500-600 degrees they are not sure what to do but are happy for the heat... usually at this point they get excited that the house is warming up and throw in more wood.... 700-900 they get worried (Some do others just say "look at that stove glow!").... one years (Sometimes years and years) of creosote ignites and no one out here is going to blame the operator oak instead they go to the one thing that changed...... dry wood .seasoned Pine.. so it must be the Pine....
I switched a few of the words around and you just told the story of how the pine myth got started

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.